Smoking Turkey Legs

caznik

Hello Members,

I have been saving my wild turkey legs and have few more turkey legs from some friends that have taken there birds to. What I like to know is? Can someone give me a good brine recipe so I can leave my turkey legs in the fridge over night. I also have a nice propane smoker that I like to smoke them up my self. Is there anyone here that can help me out.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich,

For the last 2 years I have been smoking up turkeys for our thanksgiving lunch here at work and what I have been doing is brining the turkey in apple juice for a day to 2 days and than smoking them with apple wood. They have been turning out nice and tender with a good flavor.

Just one idea.

Rich,

For the last 2 years I have been smoking up turkeys for our thanksgiving lunch here at work and what I have been doing is brining the turkey in apple juice for a day to 2 days and than smoking them with apple wood. They have been turning out nice and tender with a good flavor.

Just one idea.

Steve,

I have a propane smoker, how hot to you run the smoker and how long do you smoke the turkeys?

Rich

I like to keep the heat around 170-200 deg. F. and for a 12 lb turkey the cooking time is around 4-5 hours. I cook it till the inside temp of the bird is around I think its 148 or 168 degs. F. I'll have to look it up again. I only add the wood for smoking in the last 2 hours of the cooking time. I smoked my wild turkey 2 years ago and that was a 19 lb bird dressed out and it took around 6-7 hours.

I like to keep the heat around 170-200 deg. F. and for a 12 lb turkey the cooking time is around 4-5 hours. I cook it till the inside temp of the bird is around I think its 148 or 168 degs. F. I'll have to look it up again. I only add the wood for smoking in the last 2 hours of the cooking time. I smoked my wild turkey 2 years ago and that was a 19 lb bird dressed out and it took around 6-7 hours.

Steve,

What I will be smoking is turkey legs. How long do you think I will have to leave them in the smoker for. I have been smoking alot of fish in it, but never had tried turkey yet.

Thanks for your help,

Rich

Caz, I've never smoked turkey legs before but all the legs from mature birds that I've cooked end up tough as leather. I don't think smoking them would help. But I bet with the right brine, smoking them would give them a great flavor.

Here's what I do with my turkey legs that we roast in the over. I cut the meat from the bone and grind it up in a food processor or blender. Add some mayo, copped celery, onions, lettuce and it makes a great turkey salad spread for sandwhiches. If you smoke it and it comes out to tough, try this and it might be good. Let us know how it turns out either way?

Caz, I've never smoked turkey legs before but all the legs from mature birds that I've cooked end up tough as leather. I don't think smoking them would help. But I bet with the right brine, smoking them would give them a great flavor.

Here's what I do with my turkey legs that we roast in the over. I cut the meat from the bone and grind it up in a food processor or blender. Add some mayo, copped celery, onions, lettuce and it makes a great turkey salad spread for sandwhiches. If you smoke it and it comes out to tough, try this and it might be good. Let us know how it turns out either way?

Ya I know they get pretty tough smoking them. But I still like to eatem up that way. I was thinking about putting them in the pressure cooker and then doing something with them also.

Rich