In Storage

GLF

I had the boat pulled out of the water and put into storage for the season. Here is the last shot of her before she went into hibernation. She will be kept nice in comfortable in the heated building. I will venture up to her a few times this winter to make sure she is not lonely. :P

270-Amberjack.jpg

Some how I managed to hit something this summer, and bent the tip of one of my props. I either dinged it at the temporary dock at Fisherman's Landing, or I hit something while on the lake. This is the same prop I had repaired over the winter. ::mad: I will replace it instead of having it repaired.

Zebra Mussles...You should have saw how many zebra mussles were on top of the trim tabs, on top of my transducer, and on the outdrives. There was none on the lower units. The moving water while running prevents this.

Now where is my list of things to do this winter?????

I changed the engine oil in mine a few weeks back, but I will probably use it at least a few more times. My garage never freezes but I winterize the boat about mid Dec just because it's so easy. I like playing it safe. I heat my garage only when I'm going out there to work. I wash my car and truck and do what is needed on the boat, all through the long Winter.

The Three Bucks went into the barn Sunday. I changed the oil in both motors about two weeks ago. I like to wait until this time of year or it will be put in the back of the barn and I won't be able to get it out until June. I store it at Arcadia Marine in Arcadia they wash the bottom and winterize the engines. I am afraid that I am going to have to paint the bottom next spring, not my favorite job. I know that next year all my buddies will show up to help get her ready for the season LOL.

Bruce

What do you fisher's think a good price for winterizing an inboard boat motor is?

Mine is stored in a heated building. They keep the temperature between 45 and 50 degrees all winter. So....my winterization consists of stabelizer, fogging the cylinders, changing the gear oil in the outdrives, and changing the engines oil. I do all of this myself.

Jason, I never payed to have one done. If you need any help let me know.:) You may want to put a small amount of heat in the engine compartment on these frosty morns. I never worked on an OMC. It may be a good idea to pick up a Seloc Manual that covers your rig. The Engines are the same as Mercruisers.:)

Jason, The cost will vary. I would suggest that you call around, a good marina will be able to give you a price. I can't tell you what they charge me, it is included in the storage fee. The good thing about it is if they mess up and engine cracks or get damaged, they repair it at their cost. I have stored at Arcadia Marine for over 20 years and this has never happened to any of the three boats I have owned.

Bruce

3Bucks, you nailed it. Me and a buddy did it last year and I had no problems with it. But when you are talking about the potential to screw up an expensive piece of equipment, it may be better left to someone licensed and insured. My worry would be if I did it, or my buddy and something was to go wrong, well now I will end up covering the cost of the motor. Unless insurance would take care of it, but who wants to deal with that headache. I want to turn the key in the spring and go!!!!

Thanks