Landing Big Fish

GLF

SHARP HOOKS.:) During the Winter months every Hook gets checked and sharpened if needed. When I pull a lure from the box it stays out until the hooks get checked. Some are OK to go back in the box, but many need the file put to them. This only takes a few minutes longer, but next trip it pays off big time.:)

I agree about not pumping the rod. I put lead core in a rod holder and just crank until I get to the leader.

What kind of rods do you use? I have a buddy who likes using dipsy rods with the action of a pool cue. Fine for dipsys but on lead core it offers no shock absorber qualities at all.

• 4 weeks later...

I do not agree with the leverage theory due to the problem also exists with meat rigs which has little leverage available. Could it be that the fish are never hooked well enough to be fought to the boat? If the fish is hooked deep normally the fish is landed. Fish not hooked so well that make it to the boat have many hooks drop in the net. I dont believe the fish see close up very well and have trouble sometimes actualling inhaling the bait. If a fish is not hooked deep, and it is in 50+ fow thrashing and rolling violently, it could easily pull the hook, espicailly if there is a 200lb man pulling on the other end of a 300' core. How many of these fish are actually hooked on the outside of their mouths. One day the fish are hungry and hammering the baits deep, you land a lot of them, next day fish are not so hungry, front moved in, whatever, the fish are slapping at the baits, maybe the fish hit the bait a little from the side and is hooked more on the side of the mouth our head for that matter. You see it all the time with small spring coho's with fisherman using spoons that are a bit to big, jointed rapalas hook more in the mouth due to them running more true. If a bait is hit from the side like many (maybe most) are, it will be very difficult to hook the fish deep past the joint of its mouth. If you are lucky it will lodge right in the joint. If he hits the bait from the back and the bait gets deep where you have to look to see the hook is then you have hooked him deep and most likely will land him. I lose just as many fish on meat rigs as spoons but the fish caught on meat seem to be hooked deeper more oftern. Try smaller baits and keep them slow as you can when they wont stay hooked. Otherwise hope for hungry fish.