lead core setups

I am still fairly new to fishing the big pond for salmon. I have yet to start to run lead cores. I am hoping to change this by next weekend. I have extra rods and reels so that isn't a problem. I am planning on setting up two setups to run off inline boards. I was leaning towards two 5 core setups, but am open to all opinions. I am new to this so I need to know how much backing and what backing I need to put on the reels, and how much leader to use as well. Also what knots to use to tie the backing to the core and the core to the leader.

Now for a couple rigging questions. I am under the impression that each section of core should put me 4-5' down in the water column. So if I was to put out 5 sections I should be down 20-25'. but.......I have heard some people to say to run your core out then run out another 100' of line. Will that extra 100' of line help me get any deeper?

Also I am looking for any and all other information you can give me to get this setups going(and hopefully catching fish).

Thank you in advance for any and all information you shoot my way(and remember any information you give me might get used againist you in a future tournament or challenge:grin:).

Andy

Letting out the 100 or so feet of backer will not get you any deeper that the 5 ft per color. You need to run this backer out a ways to get the full 5 ft per color, and to have some line to hook the planer boards up.:)

I am one who runs the extra 100' of backing off before I attach it to a board. Like Frank said, "You need to run this backer out a ways to get the full 5 ft per". A lot of people attach the board right after the lead core. The depth achieved is also dependant on what you have on for a bait. ie....crankbait, dodger/fly, plug, spinner/fly or spoon.

Most people start off with a 40-60' leader. The long leader gives you extra line for retying without having to replace the leader. In this post here written by Sixshooter(Jim), it shows how to tie a Willis Knot. This is what most people use for attaching leaders and backing to the lead core.

I am using Okuma Catalinas CT-45D's. I have 2, 3, 5(half core), and 10(full core) color lead core set ups. I have not convinced myself to switch over to copper or add core and a half set ups. What I am doing is using Dive Bombs instead.

I use 27lb lead core on all my set ups. On my full core set ups, I have 200 yds of 30lb Fireline backing. On my half cores, I have 250 yards of 25lb mono backing. On my 2 and 3 colors I have around 300 yds of 20lb test backing. My 2 and 3 colors are converted down rigger rods. This is why I have 20lb backing on them.

Too get enough backing on a full core set up on a reel this size, you will need to use a super line for a backing.

I am only running Church Walleye boards. They have a spring loaded pin that you pull for putting the back line in. This prevents the board from popping off the line in case it releases. I lost an Offshore board in the Spring WMFL event when it popped off :( The one thing you will run into with a super line backing, is the line releasing from the board. If it is choppy and I am having releases, I will wrap a rubber band around the release 3 times to prevent it from releasing.

Giving the time of year that it is, I would recommend a half core and a full core. If I was going to do it, I would purchase a double core of line, and spool up a full core and a half core. With the remaining 5 colors, I would make a 2 and 3 color set up also. You can also use the 2 color set up as a SWR rig.

Getting extra depth out of your cores. Michigan Stinger came out with Dive Bombs this year. These are an add on planing weight system to get extra depths out of your lines. They work with copper, lead core, and mono.

A 4oz Dive Bomb and a full core will get you down to 68-75' range. The exact depths achieved with each weight Dive Bomb is not known yet.

That being said, a half core and a 4 oz Dive Bomb should get you as deep as or a little deeper than a full core.

I am sure others have different set ups, and views.