Grand Haven/Muskegon 6/15 - Night Time Fire Drill

I made it out last night with DIRTY DOG(Terry) and Paulywood(Nick). Thanks for coming along guys! We ended up somewhere's around 14 for 20, but only kept 7. We released 6 or 7 shakers. Of the ones we kept, most of the fish were in the 8 -12lb range.

I had heard a favorable report about Grand Haven. We agreed we would check around the piers in front of Muskegon, and if nothing happened, we would run to Grand Haven. We left the dock somewhere's around 4:50pm. We shut down in 30FOW at Muskegon to see if anything was on the fish finder. There was a LOT of bait fish there, so we started setting lines.

We made two circles with no action and no big fish arcs on the fish finder, in front of Muskegon and decided to pull lines and run to Grand Haven. We shut down, set up, and fished the 25 - 40FOW range. There was a lot of bait fish in this range. The only thing we caught in 25 - 40FOW was shakers. Somewheres around 9pm we switched over to our night time presentation and started working out deeper. We marked good schools of baitfish in the 60-80' range. Once we hit 60' we started hooking up. It was a fire drill when the sun set. We could not get our baits back in the water fast enough. At one time we had 4 lines that needed resetting. After 10:15pm, the baitfish disappeared(either shallowed up or moved) and the fish stopped biting for us. Somewheres around 10:45pm, we pulled lines and ran back to Muskegon.

On the way back, we shut down in Muskegon where we were started fishing to see what was on the fish finder. The fish finder lit up like a Christmas tree with big arcs all over. We marked so many fish on my fish finder in front of Muskegon, Terry asked me if I had it in demo mode! I took some pictures of my fish finder lit up, but left the camera on the boat. We set 3 riggers, and trolled around for another 30 minutes. The fish were there, but we could not get anything to go. We pulled lines around 12:30am and called it a night.

We caught fish on 2 color cores, 3 color cores, half cores, full cores, and riggers, anywhere from 18 - 55' down. We had one nice rip on a spoon, on a wire diver set on #3 with 40' of line out. We never hooked up with.

We caught fish on Stinger Stingrays Craigs x-mas, Craigs X-mas reverse, and few others, but I dont remember what they were.

We also caught fish on Stinger Nitros, Area-51, Blue Wonderbread, Nitro Citrus, and Twister in stinger and stingray sizes.

We also caught fish on Moonshine, Happy Meal, Flounder Pounder, and Yellow Smolt.

I think the night time action would have been just as good at Muskegon as it was at Grand Haven.

The night time bite is on and it is HOT!

Thanks for the trip Mike, it was a lot of fun. I wiped out twice running for rods, had to be aggressive if you wanted a fish! The ride home sure was hard, I had to stop a few time and stretch my legs to help me stay awake. It was after 3 am before I made it home.

Paulywood with a whopper on a Stinger Stingray Craigs x-mas

Paulywood_381021.jpg

DIRTY DOG straining to hold up this whopper caught on a Stinger Stingray Craigs x-mas reverse!

DIRTYDOG_732494.jpg

Here is a shot of the fish finder in front of Muskegon. This picture was taken some time around midnight. I am not sure why it is blurry. No I did not have any barley pops.

fishfinder.jpg

I have heard, if you have a keen eye, you can almost tell what the fish are by the size and shape of the arcs. Now if only the fishfinder would put a tag under each one stating what it is :D :D :D