My buddy Jim and I took two of my relatives from Kentucky out Sunday am for their first ever Lake MI fishing trip. We didn't get on the lake until pretty late, ~7:15-7:30 when we started setting lines. We picked up lines at 11:00am, typical spread was 4 riggers, two dipseys, 1 half core, 1 half core with 1.5oz snapweight halfway down, and two high lines.

Finished the day 2 for 5; a steely and a coho. Both the newbies got a fish, which was great because my 4th grade cousin lost the first two he tried and was bummed out until the very last fish hit and he boated it! The fish was a nice steely and gave him some good play. He was thrilled and wanted to go right back out!

We took 1 hit on a deep rapala x-rap, blue and silver, running 150-175' behind the board. My cuz fought it for a while, but he kept leaving the rod really low and forgot to reel for a minute and it came off. It was jumping in the manner a steely would, but I couldn't commit to the type of fish as it never got close enough to know for sure.

We took hits on a stinger NBK off the superbraid diver, set on 2, back 80. My Uncle landed 1 of the 2 he tried for, his first fish ever, a thick grilling size coho, ~4-5lbs.

The riggers fired twice, once on a translucent green spin doctor with a blue and silver herring harness down 65'. This was a good one, and it was lost:cray: It did provide some excitment.

The steely came off the rigger set ~45down on a fishlander blue/purple hammered pattern spoon, ~25 behind the ball.

The best action for us came between 1 and 2 miles north of the pier heads between 110 and 145fow.

For being the 2nd week of June, fishing is not bad at all. We managed 5 hits in about 3hrs time with a couple of guys new to the sport, so don't be discouraged about the fishing.

I'll post pictures when I get them emailed to me. My cousin had a smile from ear to ear when he finally got his fish!

Good fishin,