Trip Around The Lake

Just got back from my tour around Lake Michigan vacation Sunday. We started in Grand Haven where we we're invited by friends to stay at their cottage which was built in 1898. It's located walking distance from the Grand Haven Pier right on the beach! All built from the popular trees which surround it. Saturday we ran out to 240 FOW and trolled for about three hours. We ended up 0-4 with my rookie passenger. Sunday, the winds kept most everyone off until the afternoon. Ran back to 185 FOW and couldn't make a connection. Monday I departed for the U.P. Nine hours later, I ended up at a buddies dear camp in Iron River. We fished Emily, Indian, Perch and Lake Ottawa. Water temps on the lakes we're between 64 - 66. Too cold for bedding gills so we focused on Musky, Northerns and Walleyes. Picked up a few Northen and Musky but no keepers. The most productive was night fishing the eyes. In the water no later than nine o'clock. I trolled all stick baits like reef runners, yozuri's and tad polly's. I bought the little glow sticks that attach to you rod tips and I used electrical tape to attach a large glow stick to my yellow birds. That way I could see strikes with no problem. It really worked well. Ended up bringing home 22 walleye in the 17" - 22" range. If you can get up there, there are more lakes than you can could ever cover over a vacation, expenses can be kept low with the exception to gas. Starting in Niles, going to Grand Haven, over the bridge to Iron River and back down Wisconsin through Chicago back to home cost me about $400 bucks in gas over all. Yea, I'd do it again in a heart beat.