Snap Weights (and the like) on Leadcore Rigs

I went on a charter trip last year. We had a really good trip and caught lots of nice kings. I kick myself in the arse for not paying better attention and asking questions.

Anyways, they had egg sinkers on their lead cores. I did not pay attention how they stopped them or if they were on a half core.

Anyone have some insight???

The rule of thumb for snap weights is for ever oz. of lead you’ll drop 10ft.

So if you are running a half core your down around that 20-25 ft mark, add a 1oz. snap weight you be around that 30-35 ft. mark. 2 oz. snap weight around 40-45 ft. and so on.

To add the snap weights to the core just add it onto the backer right behind the core/backer knot. You can use the snap weight pinch-pads or the poor man’s snap weight which I use, a rubber coated snap swivel used for stacking down rigger called a “Stacker Sticker†they take a little more time to remove from the line when fighting a fish but are a lot cheaper then a snap weight kit. Now once you add the snap weight to the line you want to run 50-60 ft of line out before adding your inline board or clipping it to your otter boards.

Righto Stevo!

I run snap weights on core quite often. Especially if I am getting bit on 15 colors. Since I only have 2 rods set up with 15 color, I just add weight to a couple 10's or 12.5's.

I was running 2.5 lead core for shallow biters but now I just run the snap weights there too. Saves on having too many rods kickin around.

Anyways, they had egg sinkers on their lead cores. I did not pay attention how they stopped them or if they were on a half core.

Anyone have some insight???

Mike, this is another way to add a weight to leadcore that will drop off when you get a fish. After you let out the core you fold the backer line in half and send it through the egg sinker. Then using a small piece of rubber band through the loop to keep the egg sinker on. You will need to experiment depending on line diameter and rubber band size to get a clean release when you get a fish.

Mike, this is another way to add a weight to leadcore that will drop off when you get a fish. After you let out the core you fold the backer line in half and send it through the egg sinker. Then using a small piece of rubber band through the loop to keep the egg sinker on. You will need to experiment depending on line diameter and rubber band size to get a clean release when you get a fish.

That idea I like...I have a ton of egg sinkers I got cheap at one point or another to try and make my own river weights with and really have not ever done it.

Thanks for the reply Tim.

He had the line running though the sinkers and the sinkers would slide up or down the line. I am guessing he used a rubber band or something to hold them in place :confused: :confused: :confused: