Meat Rigs

What's you favorite meat rig set-up?

I have many, but I guess my favorite has to be the stealth set up I use on a rigger. I run a line with just the head and meat, no twinkies or flasher, on a center rigger, about 20 lower and 20 feet behind a flasher fly set-up that is on an outdown. It doesn't catch alot, but it gets some big hogs.

I did well running a 6 foot lead with a Ryes Davis head behind a VK flasher on each of the side downriggers.

The special trick with the VK is you can make small and large circles and change the rotation direction. Having the flashers roll away from the boat on either side produced some larger fish action.

Capt. Levi,

I'd have to say my favorite meat rig is the crystal killer; crushed ice glow reel flasher, with a pearl mylar teaser and mag meat head. Run it right down the chute all the way on the bottom. I think it's the same rig that took your big Laker from last season in that picture!

• 4 weeks later...

We use both Rhys Davis and Fish-On Herring Strips. Each brand has their compliments and negatives. I personally like the smaller-sized Rhys Davis strips all year long, but for the larger Magnum head, the Fish-On strips are a much better fit than the Rhys Davis strips. We use a lot more Rhys Davis bait heads so we stick with the smaller Rhys Davis strips most of the time. But, we also use the Magnum heads, so we use the Fish-On strips as well.

As far as best Cut Bait rigs overall, I would have to say the best cut bait head of all-time, is the Rhys Davis "Silver/Green/Chartreuse." The second best is the Rhys Davis "Splatter Chartreuse." The best flasher of all-time has been the "Glow Kermit" O'ki Kingfisher and then the "Seaweed", "Yellowtail", and "King Kobra" Reel Flashers.

P.S. I also have 25 packages of Fish-On Strips For Sale that I want to get rid of. I haven't had any responses at the current price that is listed in the classifieds. So anyone who may be slightly interested at all, get ahold of me if you live in West Michigan. I will definitely give you a really good deal on them.

• 3 weeks later...

I always run a meat rig as my deepest rod. I start off with an 11" Hot Spot Bullfrog trailing a rollerbaiter with Rhys Davis cut bait. Tried another brand last year & threw it out. It fell apart in the water. With the Rhys Davis cut bait I've caught fish on the same strip & kept using it the whole day without having to replace it. If I'm running two cut bait rigs my other rig starts off with either an 11" Yote or White Lightning Hot Spot then when the sun comes up the #37 11" goes on. Those are some of the top Hot Spot flashers on this side of the lake.