7/28/15, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

Today I had a repeat client form Grand Blanc, MI that has been fishing with me since the 1980s. On this outing he brought along his two Grandsons and their Dad. We started out into the fish right off the bat catching fish one after another. In just two hours of fishing time, they caught their four man limit of nice walleyes that ranged in size from 17 to 25 inches. Sure the kids lost some fish, but it was no biggie as they were quickly replaced with more fish on the lines. They were all chunky, well fed walleyes today with lots of girth and plenty of spunk. One of our walleyes today, a 24 incher, wore a MI-DNR lip tag and the young man that caught her will send the info in to the DNR and will get a report back from them detailing the fish's history. He may even win $100 as some of the tagged fish have a reward on them. We also caught about a dozen sheephead, so as you can imagine the action was non-stop. I never did really get a chance to sit down all morning running the boat by myself with all the action going on. We fished once again out by the Charity Islands pulling the fish out of rocky structure with lots of breaks, humps and rock piles in that area that hold millions of gobbies, which the walleyes love to eat. Yesterday I had some grilled walleye and those gobbie fed walleyes, even though most of them are on the rather large size, are absolutely scrumptious to eat. We pulled the same spread I've basically been running all summer with four chartreuse/orange spinner/crawler rigs and four more red/silver spinner rigs with six off the Church Tackle boards and two flat lines run right off gunnels behind the boat. They hit everything about equally and the bite today was good with few lost fish and plenty hooked deeply. Actually, after the first hour, I went down to a six rod spread and our action was still non-stop. I fished even faster today with speeds in the 1.8 to 1.9 mph range being best. Faster trolling speeds are best as the water gets warmer. This is walleye fishing at it's finest right now and this action is sure to stay good for weeks to come as the Outer Bay is setting up for a prolonged walleye bite this year that aught to be world class for the rest of the summer.

Capt. Mike Veine