Speak Up, DNR Meeting to discuss Walleye limits on Saginaw Bay today in Bay City

In case you haven't heard, the DNR is holding a 'public comment' meeting tonight, Thursday June 4 at 7:00 at the Knights of Columbus hall on S. River Road, Bay City.

I commend them for holding the meeting at the regular meeting location of the Saginaw Bay Walleye Club. Smartest thing I have seen the DNR do in a long time.

The short version of the proposal is that in order to restore the perch population, they want to increase the walleye harvest. Their proposed 'solution' is to reduce the size limit from 15" to 13", and increase the daily limit from 5 to either 8 or 10. Also to reduce the perch limit from 50 to 25.

As avid anglers, it is our duty to be involved in these decisions. Let your voice be heard.

For what it's worth, in my humble opinion, we do not need to slaughter walleye to save perch. Certainly the limit on perch can be reduced, but there are plenty of keeper walleye, and a reduction in the size limit is unnecessary. I can see an increase in the daily limit, and 8 would be great, 10 is excessive.

What bothers me the most, is we have been pounding the table about the Cormorants for years, and they still don't listen. Their own summary of the proposal states 'cormorants consume 73% of what the walleye consume' of perch, yet we can still be thrown in jail for accidentally shooting a "Cormorat" during duck season.

Look forward to seeing you there!