Capt. Dans Fishing Report

Hello, all.

I am very hesitant and apprehensive about reporting the fishing action again this week on the Bay. Because we had yet another fatality on the Bay this past Saturday the 24th. And with reporting the continuing good fishing, I feel as much a part of the bad news as I do the good. Those same open waters spots that claimed the first victim earlier this month has claimed another man. I had a bad gut feeling on Saturday, when I seen a Coast Guard helicopter flying over my house on its way to the Bay. This is a terrible thing to watch and I'm afraid it might not be over yet. As the word of the great fishing on the Bay spreads, we get more and more people from out of the area and the state coming here unaware of these open water spots. Yet what can we do, and why so many water open spots this year on the Bay?

I have a theory about those spots this year. I feel that the waters never did entirely turn over this fall on the Bay. The air and water temps stayed warmer longer than usual this winter, and the warmer waters didn't get a chance to cool down enough. Then as those surprise sub-zero temps froze the surface layers quickly, these slightly warmer layers pooled up. And those usual spots (us locals know about) that are always thin because of the Bays dynamics, heave these slightly warmer waters to the surface at these pinch points keeping them open. And I've heard recently that these spots are growing in size with each high wind event. For those of you who have a Computer, there is a real time satellite view of the Bay that shows these open spots on the Bay. http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.cgi/modis?region=h&page=1 Some days of course, the view will be obscured with clouds, but most are not. Please, plan your fishing trips around and away from these spots. Use your GPS going out and coming in. Never blindly head straight in towards any shore lights. No fish in the world is worth yours or your loved ones life.

As for the report, the fishing has stayed steady and new pictures for your viewing pleasure are enclosed. Very few places on the bay are skunking people out. I've heard of and seen fish caught in 11 to 24 FOW all week. And the river continues to be on fire from the mouth all the way into Saginaw. The bigger fish seem to be stickling together and segregated from the little ones when you find them on the river. A bud of mine watched a guy keel haul 5 nice keepers out of a hole 20 yards from him as he caught 25 sub legals on the same lure and bait. But that's the way it's been going all season on the river. The bay fish (for the most part) are all in that 17 to 22 inch range and perfect eaters. The Bay for the most part is safe, with ice thickness up to 20 inches in some sections. The cracks are always an issue after any wind event. But it's this same ice thickness that gives most that false sense of security. Come here and enjoy what could be the best fishing we've ever seen on the Bay. But please use all your senses of safety when you do. Be safe, fish smart and tight lines. Capt. Dan.

walleye2007012.jpg

walleye2007011.jpg

Cap't Dan,

Just wondering if your concerned at all about the amount walleye being taken out of the bay/river this winter. I know there is a lot of fish in the system, but with all carnage going on I'm curious as to what this spring and summer holds??

By the way, are you selling any spoon rigs out your house this year? If not, can you let me know when you send them to Frank's.

Thanks,

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
Cap't Dan,

Just wondering if your concerned at all about the amount walleye being taken out of the bay/river this winter. I know there is a lot of fish in the system, but with all carnage going on I'm curious as to what this spring and summer holds??

By the way, are you selling any spoon rigs out your house this year? If not, can you let me know when you send them to Frank's.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom.

I have 117 spoon rigs left to sell and then there gone till next year. I started out with over 350. I will not be taking any out to Franks this spring, so contact me now for purchase details if you want any for the season. [email protected]

As far as my concerns for the fishery and alll the little ones being caught, killed, illegally taken or harmed. Here is an E-mail correspondence I had with my DNR biologist buddy recently that would explain things better.

>>> <[email protected]> 03/12/2007 3:59 PM >>>

So, Dave.

Any more word on the 2006 Saginaw Bays natural walleye survival rates. And does the DNR plan on taking any eggs at all from the Tittabawassee this spring considering the VHS findings. Dan.

Dan.

The catch rate of Young-of-the-year walleyes in our trawling this past September was much lower than the last three years (which were all record numbers) but still represented a year class that was about average compared to most stocked years (for the long term average) before the recent surge the past three years. Alewives are still scarce in Lake Huron and we believe that the conditions are still optimal for very good reproductive success for walleye but as we also predicted that at some point, these other very strong year classes would begin to suppress newer walleye year class strength of subsequent years through competition and even cannibalism. This is a common phenomenon in walleye populations (a strong year class will suppress the following year class) thus its unusual to have two strong year classes in a row and three in a row (like we have) is almost unheard of. So the fact that the 2006 year class is not nearly as strong is not surprising and not particularly disturbing. Besides, there is still a 2006 year class there, and not out of line with the long term average despite the lack of stocking in 2006. The exciting news is that it now appears that the 2005 year class is much much stronger than we previously thought (compared to how it showed as young-of-the-year). It appears to be as much as twice as strong as the 2003 year class. This is based on catch rate of yearlings in our survey nets. Yearling catch rate is the best expression of year class strength because they have survived their first winter and the true (lasting) strength of the year class is usually set by then. It appears as if the 2005 year class enjoyed much better over-winter survival than the 2003 and 2004 year classes did. This very strong 2005 year class explains partly why everyone is still catching many many sublegal walleyes. The 2003s are fully legal size by now and the 2004s will be this summer too. The future continues to look very bright for Saginaw Bay walleyes sans the VHS issue.

As for walleye stocking in 2007 (this year), its all very much undecided at the moment. The final decision will probably be made this week. Because egg disinfection procedures for walleye eggs are unproven at present, there is a real possibility that no walleye egg collection or culture will take place in any state operated hatchery this year (in an effort to keep the disease out of our hatcheries). That decision hasn't been made yet, but its a real possibility. If that decision gets made (to not rear any walleye in 2007) that will be a decision only for this year and will again be revisited for future years once egg disinfection techniques are established for walleye. There's a good possibility that no walleye stocking will be recommended for Saginaw Bay in 2007 even if walleye rearing were to take place because of the three to four strong year classes currently present and because alewives continue to remain scarce. That decision is under advisement and we should have the final word here soon as well.

Check back with me in a week or two and I can tell you more then.

Cap't Dan,

I already ordered some spoons from you a couple weeks ago. You dropped them off at my house. Thanks again.

Tom

Oh yea, sorry. Sold 4 of every color to a guy in Southfield named Tom. Had a Tom come from Mayville yesterday to pick some up. Just to many Tom's in this world. :lol:;) ;)