mark4493

battery charger question

I have 2 batteries wired up through a battery switch. I added a third battery and attached it to one of the existing batteries. The batteries are connected in a way that it doubles the capacity while staying at a 12 volt system. To much surprise there was no onboard battery charger on the boat when I bought it. I plan on adding a 3 bank charger, but with the battery set up as it is, would it be better to use a 2 bank charger instead? Thanks

Just so I understand you correctly I understand that you have 3-12volt batteries but rigged up in two separate 12 volts systems. If this is correct you should only need a 2 bank charger (connect one bank of the charger to each of the 12 volt systems).

You don't need a 3 bank although I would recommend one. The bank with 2 battery's will take twice as long to charge as the bank with one battery with a 2 bank charger. With a 3 bank charger they will all be charged at the same rate.

your system with the 2 batteries will only charge to the state of the worse battery. In other words if you have one weak battery and one strong , it will only charge to the state of the weak one.

I hope I didn't confuse you.