For the Lake Ontario fishermen

Lake Ontario Fishermen,

I use to remember a fishing show that was allways on Saturdays and they had a guy fishing salmon on Lake Ontario. I cannot remember the name of the show or the guy that was doing all the fishing charters on it, but anyways. He use to run a rig called the wonder rig. A wonder rig was using a downrigger rod with a small dipsy and putting a lure behind the dipsy like using a dipsy rod. But he would run that wonder rig on the outside rigger. He would put the dipsy back about 20' behind the ball and hook it to his outside rigger. By doing that the dipsy would bring his spread outside more from his boat. Has any of you guys ever ran such a rig and are you still doing it. If you are how good of a wonder rig is it anyways. I have never tried it on Lake Michigan, but really thinking about doing it this year for the fun of it.

Caznik

Caz,

I know other guys that call that an out and down. They use small dipseys or the Big Jon mini-disks. I just had a discussion about this the other day. Some guys like to run it during the day because it gets the lure farther out from the boat. I was thinking that a slide diver might work, than you can run a long lead but don't have to worry about being able to net it.

• 1 month later...

Just try it, and it will convince you.

Me I use this set up mainly for King in the period of strip hearing with flasher, ( august or early september ) and normally close to the bottom.

I prefer slide diver (middle size, no color), lot more alternative with it, I use a rod of 9.5' for dipsydiver with my automatic big jon rod retriever, to try to get the fish on the side of the boat. I don't want the fish in the middle, because it will reserve bad surprise , I use 40# line with good + tension on it.

Easy to stack( to be in the same path and depth of your ball attached lures), you can do a large spread, at the same depth, at the same spead. (Your fishfinder will give you the depth, your SVR need to be around the same depth of the king, so the rest of the lures will be aroud 6-8 feet higher)

Put an Svr(2 colors) in the middle inside rigger, so if front does'nt work your plug will do the job in the center back( this line will reserve you some big surprise, but not on regular basis, so it's the firts one to remove if you got an limit for rod in the water, and if you want more fish than the big one).

As you got the same spread each side, you are very large.

Early in the season, you don't really need this kind of set up as it is more easy to take fish.

So for me, this set up have it's day's (slow speed day's - [email protected] MPH) and I like it, but I fish L.O. , so try it, may be it will give you success, if not return to your old value in Lake Michigan.

my 2 ct

Marijo

It works, I use a big jon diver disk. I typically only use it on the rare occasion I stack a rigger to increase separation between the two lines. It also helps get your baits away from the boat when the browns are spooky.

Tim