Fall Tactics - New to GL site

Hello everyone! I have been enjoying reading everyone's posts and reports. I am new to this site and am new to Great Lakes Fishing. I have made one trip to Door County this summer and really spend most of my time on Lake Superior (I live in Minneapolis). I am absolutely hooked on Salmon fishing in the great lakes and really want to make another trip out this year yet but have a couple of questions. First of all, I have a 18 foot Ranger and have lead core, dipsey's, etc. I have purchased two Cannon MAg 10 electric DR's but haven't gotten them installed yet. sigh.

My questions are pretty simple

1) What is the fall run like and typical techniques?

2) Is there a better area (Door Cty vs Kewaunee?)

3) Are any of the Kings still "Chrome" or is this really a C&R type of fishing this time of year?

Any other suggestions or tips in general would be very appreciated. Thank you all.

Simon

Your lead core will work but the harbors get pretty busy so u might wanna stick to dipsys and riggers.. Early morning/ evening are you best bets for staging fish In shallow.. Primary baits are j- plugs and flasher/flys. If you get them before they run, still out in the lake they are still pretty silver and great for the table..

what J plugs seem to be popular for fall? Certain colors?

Many different color plugs will work. My favorites are florescent green, green w/ black ladder back, chrome w/ red head, pearl, wonder-bread.

Other good lures include super mag spoons (glows especially in low light conditions) and Spin Doctor and Bechold Hoochie Mama flashers with flies (pearl white glow flashers with green, white, and blue flies).

All work well off riggers and divers. Leadcore & copper outfits are best left in the boat in typical harbor patrol "combat" fishing situations. It also pays to beef up the line on downrigger reels as you don't have the room to let the fish get out far from the boat -- 20#+ test.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the good info. I was wondering if certain ports are traditionally better for fall fishing? Is Sheboygan better than MKE or Kewaunee or Algoma? Just thought i would ask. I have been trolling almost every chance i can on Lake Superior for Lakers and Salmon and feel confident with my gear and my boat and given fall fishing seems to be near shore or just off shore that makes me feel better (not that bad stuff can't happen) so thanks again.

Simon, I have fished all the ports you mention and suggest you call the local bait and tackle shops for clues on their action at any point in time of the year. It varies according to water temp. and weather usually. It's always best to ask the locals what's going on, and make your informed decision from there. Every season is a little different from the last season. Go with your instincts and info. you collect, and the decision will be apparent. Good fishing Simon.