Walleye fishing for the first time

I am trying to plan a trip to the east side of the state in Lake Erie . Is there some basic fishing equipment that I should buy for fishing for walleye? Bottom bouncing sinkers? Crawler harnesses? I don't have much experience fishing like this, I'm used to salmon fishing. What should my speed be? Any info will help fellas. Also is there a recommended port that any of you have been to? Thanks

It depends on the time of year/weather. Right now there are fish East of West Sister 12mi out of Fenwicks in Ohio. There are some fish out of Monroe around the Sputnik 9 miles out. This time of year spoons or crawler harnesses work. You can cover more water with spoons but worms are more fun. Lots of junk fish around.

Not sure what the conditions are in Erie but i do very well for Eyes in the north channel of lake huron. This time of year they are moving out of the river and heading for deeper water near islands or shoals. I use bottom bouncers with spinners/worm harnesses. And i do very well with worms. Thats all i use for Eyes. Right now, we are getting into some big schools in about 16ft of water. Depending on the wind, ill sometimes drift. Usually see 1mph on GPS.

Later in the evening, i usually switch to small raps...when the sun hits the tree line; out comes the rapala's. When i have raps on, i usually go a bit faster; around 1.7mph. I usually get the bigger ones on raps, but sometimes ill just stick with worms when they are producing. My favorite colours are gold, bright yellow and white.

Good luck!