6/14/13, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

My group from Illinois finished up their five day stint fishing with me. In five days on the water, they experienced world class walleye fishing every day and have they have eaten a lot of fresh walleye this week too. The fishing was so good that they have already booked five days for next year, but due to spreading the word, next year we will be running a two boat, five day charter trip for their group. Today we first ran out to deep water and finding rough conditions there, we came back in closer to shore and set lines at about 8:00. By 9:30 my customers were limited out with a dandy box of walleyes. Several of the fish were in the 26 to 28 inch range and we lost several more whoppers in the choppy conditions too. We ran a mixed spread of Hot N' Tots (middle and outside boards) and crawlers with bottom bouncers (inside boards and flat lines). They hit every lure I put in the water this morning as long as it was close to the bottom so no presentation dominated. Our trolling speed was very inconsistent in the surging waves ranging from 1 to 2 mph. I had to throw in a drift sock a couple times when the wind really kicked up. The best part is that we caught the fish on one big, long, down wind, trolling pass. Our fish were caught non-stop over a two mile area.

Capt. Mike Veine

IMG_8307.JPG

Today was another banner charter with my customers taking 20 nice keepers in about three hours of fishing. Same program and location as yesterday. The bite started off red hot, then when the wind picked up a little from the south, the bite slowed big time for an hour. Eventually the fish started to bit good again and we limited out with a few extras to throw back as we trolled into a active school of fish at the end of the trip. Our biggest fish today was about 25 inches with more smaller fish in the catch than yesterday.