anyone using meat rigs

I need some info on these , what kind work best, are they better than other baits, what kind of fish work best - herring or smelt?? I'm just getting back to fishing after 40 years off. So I'm sure there are a bunch of new ideas out there. Thanks everyone

There are a number of good meat Rigs, Sigs makes some really nice ones and several others too I use big weenie and sigs mostly. I use mostly herring strips or if I can cast net some I like alewives. Just be sure u run slow slow slow, and the best presentations are all meat or just a small amount of hardware on long lines ie full cores and copper rigs. I am not personally comfortable running flashers on long lines. I do use them on my dipsy rigs and downriggers. usually my presentation is my deep divers have meat on them and all of my downriggers. that gives me 6 meat rigs in the spread. I have only used the meat presentation in the summer and fall when fishing is tougher. Springtime I never even have time to set out those kind of rigs.

We run all Rapture Trolling Flies customer teaser rigs, they sell them as individuals 3 rig packs or Michigan Stinger has combined with Rapture Trolling Flies to make a Stinger Meat rig.The Stinger meat rigs come with 3 teaser in 6 different colors," Red pepper, Yellow Fern, Hypnotist, Oceana, Blue Hypnotist and Illusion" a head to hold fish, 50 inches of 50 pound clear ande. We have personally help create these colors with Stinger to help put the top colors we feel out to the public. We like strips of herring and Ballyhoo, make sure your head is spinning 1-2 times a second. We fish them on anything when were fishing deeper then 60ft down.

stinger_1.jpg

The last two seasons meat rigs off divers on wire and braid have been my most productive presentation on the boat. Last year the UV rigs from Big Weenie with either cut bait herring or ballyhoo were great.

In May last year I managed to catch a whole lot of alewife off the Holland breakwall and treated them with BW brine and they worked very well through out the rest of the year. Had bait ranging from 3 to 6" and was a whole lot cheaper than buying it. Unfortunately none left so I'm going to order some from Frank down at Calumet Marine soon to get buy until I can catch some more.

I tend to run faster than many with the meat rigs out... 2.2 to 2.7 mph on the X4 downspeed. Mainly so that the other lures in the presentation also have good action. Still got plenty of hits on the meat.

Lou, welcome to the site...this is where we post and talk all the time...Just give me a call and I'll let you know how we do it...that being said I am not a meat expert...we use it once in a while, but quite honestly still figuring it out.