Group of Muskegon residents get to see wind turbine parts unloaded from foreign ship

News

The wind and solar stuff is OK but it surely will not efficiently power and industrial state. I think we all need to think hard on the proposal. If it wasn't for subsidies the green stuff wouldn't come close to pulling it's weight. Our lakes and landscapes covered with windmills could get ugly. The wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine all the time. They are a big experiment right now, with high maintenance costs. To lock us into a certain percentage seems risky to me. The way the TV ads make it sound all of the wind stuff is Michigan made. I think technology is great but I think the wind and solar are in the same boat with electric vehicles. Maybe down the road this will be the way to go, but I don't think their time is here yet. I hope I'm not being political, but my passion for our Great Lakes, and Michigan's Industries, is why I had to speak.

PS: A few weeks ago I saw three rigs, with wind turbine blades, going E on I69 just W of Flint. MI DOT had one of the rigs pulled over.

If you want a close up view there are 3 of them within a mile of my house. And 185 more in Gratiot county (and counting). Personally I am ambivalent toward them. I think that farmers should be able to use their land how they want to make money, wind turbines or not. But I don't think we should have to have a certain percentage, let the market dictate how much renewable energy we need. And I agree Don, they are pretty cool to see up close. My son loves them, they're like a giant fan for him.