4/27/12, Lake Ere, Fishing Report

I finally got back out onto the water today after waiting out a prolonged period of rotten weather that kept me shore bound. We headed out to the Toledo Harbor Light first thing in the morning with jigging rods ready to rock today and the walleye bite there was fast and furoius for the first hour with some bigger than average walleyes, then the bite slowed down as the sun rose up. It took us a couple hours of fishing to limit out in Ohio jigging with blade baits, then we slid over west across the boarder and broke out the trolling rods. I deployed a mixed spread of crank baits and spinner/crawler rigs. The white bass there were quite a pain in the rear, but we were able to sort through them and take a half dozen more walleyes. All the walleyes caught trolling came on crawlers/bottom bouncers with chartreuse/orange being best. The trolling bite was slow for walleyes because of all the white bass fouling our lures constantly. I have two more days scheduled on Lake Erie, then I move my boat to Saginaw Bay. I'm looking forward to heading to Au Gres as we don't have to deal with the trash fish like we do on Erie.

Capt. Mike Veine

I have two more days scheduled on Lake Erie, then I move my boat to Saginaw Bay. I'm looking forward to heading to Au Gres as we don't have to deal with the trash fish like we do on Erie.

Capt. Mike Veine

Nice job on the fish Mike. Sure is nice to have all the great fishing around the state that we do.

I'll be up to Au Gres starting next week too, can't wait for the walleye bite to take off up there. Was out on Wednesday up there, covered a lot of water with limited success. Enough fish for a meal, but it wasn't hot n' heavy. The wind has to stop blowing out of the N at some point here and bring on some stable weather....I think....or I mean, I hope......

Nice job on the fish Mike. Sure is nice to have all the great fishing around the state that we do.

I'll be up to Au Gres starting next week too, can't wait for the walleye bite to take off up there. Was out on Wednesday up there, covered a lot of water with limited success. Enough fish for a meal, but it wasn't hot n' heavy. The wind has to stop blowing out of the N at some point here and bring on some stable weather....I think....or I mean, I hope......

I bet you didn't have to sort through 20 white bass for every walleye trolling on the Bay though?

I bet you didn't have to sort through 20 white bass for every walleye trolling on the Bay though?

No, certainly did not. However, we did pickup a white bass earlier this spring near Linwood. LOL. Trash fish in Au Gres has been very limited, a few cats, a sheep or two, but mainly walleye....