I blew it tonight

huntingfool43

:mad: Have not seen a buck all season and when I did I screwed up. I found several rubs last week along the power line clearing through the woods I hunt. Found a ground scrape late last week and decided I better stay out of the area untill I got a ladder stand up or bought a climber. Well tonight I just couldn't help my self, figured where he would enter the woods and got down wind and sat down. Trouble was after an hour and a half the wind and rain was beating me to death so I decided to cross the power line clearing and get in the neighbor's ladder stand. Big mistake. it was only 5:50 when I stood up and snuck out into the power lines and he was already there headed my way. Had I stayed put he would have come in on the trail about 20 yards up wind of me. When I saw him he was only about 25 yards away from me but heading out real fast. Didn't risk the shot. Had I gotten in the stand in the first place he was only about 20 yards from it when I saw him, would have been a gimme from the stand. I will leave him alone for a week and hope he comes back. Walking out tonight I found he has a new scrape line right down my center fence row with 4 new scrapes that were not there 5 days ago. The joys of hunting.:grin:

I don't know for sure. He look to have about a 16 inch spread but not sure if he is a big six or if the other beam had more points than the one I got a good look at. The main beam I got a good look at had just 1 6 inch tine about mid beam and brow tine but I didn't get a good look at the other side because he was uphill from me. I plan to give him a few days to settle down before I hunt that spot again and before I do I will have a ladder stand or climber so I can get off the ground.

Saw him this morning about 10:15. He was standing in my neighbor's hay feild. He was headed back toward where I saw him last night. He is a 7 point, not a six like I first thought with about a 16 inch spread and good mass. By the look of his body size I am guessing 2 1/2 year old.

Rich

This is on some property I own over here by Springport. I will be hunting next to you tomorrow after noon if the weather cooperates. I use to see some real nice bucks on this land untill I let a guy put it to hay instead of cash crops like corn and beans. After 10 years of it being hay you were lucky to see a deer there. Last year I told him I wanted it corn or I would get some one else to plant it. Well he even left it unpicked untill the end of December and it made a big difference on the deer sightings. This year is the first time in a long time I have found scrapes and rubs on the property, things are looking up.