ranger z118

ranger1

This is my first post I hope I posted in the right spot.

Does anyone run an 18' bass boat in Lake St. clair ? I am looking at getting a ranger z118 it is 18'8" with a 150 pro xs . This is all that will fit into the garage. Would this just be a waste of money? I know that you have to pick and choose your days on the water (weather wise) But when you fish a tournament sometimes it gets nasty and you have no choice . If you don't fish St clair, maybe Erie or Ontario and have a 18' bass boat how does a boat like this handle the rough stuff ? I know sometimes even a 20'er does not seem big enough , Any input would be welcome

Here is what I take out on Lake Michigan. This isn't the boat I take but this is the length/same year/model an 18 footer.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1986-Smoker-Craft-188-Cr-101243370

I have been in 6-8 footers. I have no problem with it. It rides them up and down very well. Most people get sick to be honest. I have taken a wave over the front twice this past year on the same day. The first one was the sign that it was time to go back in. Its definitely doable in 6 footers. Anything more than that and it becomes pretty retarded.

As for a bass boat. I'm not sure i'd go for that. It would severely limit your fishing days where I live.

James, A warm welcome to the GLF site.

:welcome:

I'm not a LSC fisherman but know that it can get rough like Erie and the Saginaw Bay. I do fish Saginaw Bay a lot. The problem with these three bodies of water is the choppy waves due to their relatively shallow depths. A general rule of thumb is 20 ft + but pick your days and you can get by with less. Common sense has to be used no mater what size your rig is.

I know guys run them out there but I would be carefull. Once the heat comes out then all the pleasure boaters do too. It would be like riding a really fast moped on I-75. Yeah it will keep up but its still not smart. A lot of time those big boats think they are the only ones on the water and even dont realize the power and force of their own wake. Maybe a walleye style boat? little deeper v and taller sides?

An 18' boat should not be an issue. I use to have a 19' Basscat Pantera II with a 200hp Mercury. I use to fish tournaments on the Grand River and Muskegon Lake. We were allowed to run Lake Michigan in the tournaments. In some of the tournaments while running the big lake, we were running in 4-6' waves. I also fished Lake Erie with it.

When running in rough water, do not run straight into the waves. This beats the crap out of you and your equipment. The pounding from running in rough water will cause stress cracks in the gel coat. You want to take the waves at a 45 degree angle. You will end up running a zig-zag coarse to get to where you want to go.

One thing to keep in mind... 6-8 footers in Lake Michigan is WAAY different than 6-8 footers on Erie. That Erie chop is nothing to mess with, the wave have a much shorter period in the shallow waters of Lake Erie. We fish there 4-5 times a summer and whenever it kicks up we just head to the river to finish the day of fishing. It's not worth messing with. I know a few people who have swamped boats out there, one was a 20' champion bass boat. He had to to have the Coastguard come rescue him.

In our 18' Lund I'll fish Lake Michigan in 5-6 footers no problem, but Erie with the same wave height makes me really nervous. The waves are just too close together.

One thing to keep in mind... 6-8 footers in Lake Michigan is WAAY different than 6-8 footers on Erie. That Erie chop is nothing to mess with, the wave have a much shorter period in the shallow waters of Lake Erie. We fish there 4-5 times a summer and whenever it kicks up we just head to the river to finish the day of fishing. It's not worth messing with. I know a few people who have swamped boats out there, one was a 20' champion bass boat. He had to to have the Coastguard come rescue him.

In our 18' Lund I'll fish Lake Michigan in 5-6 footers no problem, but Erie with the same wave height makes me really nervous. The waves are just too close together.

Yup! I fished Lake Erie in 4-6' waves. The waves are very close together.

I wouldn't be worrying about what size you can fit in your garage. I'd be more concerned with what you feel is "safe" for what you plan on using it for. It's a personal choice, take your time and look around. It's a lot different when you find something you "want/gotta have", opposed to something that may suit your needs better. Good luck in your search