IPilot

Killin' It

Has anyone or does anyone use the pilot to keep their small boat on course.

I am looking for something to keep the boat straight when fighting a fish/netting a fish on the nice days.

I have heard of people using them, just never knew anyone that has so I could question them.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/accessories/ipilot/freshwater.aspx

Yes,

Upgraded to an Ipilot last year (V2- 70lb thrust - 60" shaft). We walleye fish in the Detroit river and Erie too, so it was more for that, but we have it set for salmon trolling with the big motor for thrust now too. It is the best thing ever--no more driving the boat. It makes going fishing with 2 guys way less work and more enjoyable too, I even think we end up catching more fish. I fix the outboard with a bungee cord so it doesnt move and use the big motor for thrust. The ipilot is set at 30%-40% up front and just used for steering. We've had it out in all conditions last year it really holds a course well--even 3-4 foot waves. Get some good batteries and an onboard charger and it will make things easier as well. We easily get a whole long day of fishing in on one charge though. I promise you will not be dissapointed if you get one, just make sure to get the 60" shaft model so you dont have to worry about it coming out of the water in big waves.

Actually, see the remote hanging from my neck on my avatar? That's the Ipilot remote :)

Although Ipilot is nice, not necessary for salmon trolling.

A standard Minkota unit with auto pilot works just fine. The standard unit works on a compass heading.

The one time I used my small boat (17' sea nymph) for Salmon trolling, we had the Minkota down with ap on, and the big motor for propulsion. It worked very nice.

I love my Terrova with I pilot !:thumb: I am running ten lines with people that have never fished. So I run the show and they reel in fish. I wear the controller around my neck and can bring a steelhead,salmon,or walleye to the proper side of the boat with a slight turn. As Nailer said..no real need for the i-pilot feature mostly just use compass navigation,BUT I have used the cruise control at times trolling. THIS THING IS THE BEST THING FOR PERCHING SINCE THE MINNOW !! Spot lock is incredible to say the least. I would not buy a trolling motor without it.

Thanks for this post ekbelt. I had no clue they worked like that. What is the ballpark cost for the unit?

Looks like the price has come down a bit...900 on sale at Cabelas.

I think I have around $1500 into it actually. Paid 1099.99 for it last spring, then around 250 for two group 29 batteries (group 27 work too) and then 150 for a dual bank on board charger. Worth every penny though... Use it for all the types of fishing we do: salmon, walleye, perch. Ended up selling the old trolling motor on craigslist for 350, that helped a little.

The IPilot is awesome. We use it most while perch fishing, just cruise til schools are marked, hit Anchor Lock, and it will keep you within 5 feet of that spot. No more messing with anchor lines. Its also nice for following sharp drops walleye fishing. Works best on flat days but it does just fine in the waves.

• 4 weeks later...

I also purchased the Terrova 80 lb (24volt) last year. Started fishing the big lake 3 years ago in my used 18 foot Lund Alaskan. I have a 60 hp tiller steer Merc and a 6hp Nissan kicker. Last season was amazing having that much control, being able to walk away from the tiller.

Bought the Terrova and 2 AGM Cabelas batts at Cabelas in IN; ask for someone in boat service if you go there....that guy hooked me up with wiring, fittings, fuses, and everything went together awesome.

Like Erik's set-up I tied my main engine to the kicker with a ball/socket joint strut, I bungee the main engine to the side of the boat to keep it roughly centered...use the kicker for 70-80% of the thrust and put the Terrova down.

The autopilot feature was phenomenal to keep you on course and the cruise control helps maintain your speed. The remote makes everything hands free...I keep the foot pedal in the boat, stored for emergencies.

You do have to be careful when changing directions/trolling across strong current changes...going from into the waves at 3.2 sog and then turning will potentially allow the cruise control to dial down the thrust or turn it off completely at which point you lose your steering and course.

For whitefish in the piers, walleye and perch fishing, I found the electronic anchor to be absolutely awesome.

Great boat control feature that allows you to do a lot more fishing. Good luck.

You can upgrade some existing Minn Kotas to Ipilot for about $450 dollars. Cabelas has a list of pre-existing models that are easy to change over. I plan on upgrading my V2 soon.

Chris

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Minn-Kota174-i-Pilot-GPS-Trolling-Motor-Control-System/1304182.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Di-pilot%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=i-pilot&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I believe that's the link for anyone interested.