salmon and steelhead above 6th st?

Does anyone know how to catch salmon,steelhead,browns above 6th st dam? I have a lot more time to fish the grand river above 6th st dam then I do lake michigan, so just wondering any spots, or techniques to catch them.info on baits or times to fish would be great, thanks!

there isn't much structure for the fish to sit in immediately above the dam so they move through that area pretty quickly usually after they get past the dam. I personally like to fish the tribs above the dam as they concentrate the fish better. Floats and spawn, casting hardware, or fly fishing all work fine at any of these places :thumb:

Thanks, i will have my boat on the river so I can pretty much get anywhere, when will the fishing pick up above the dam? Last year I was deer hunting off the river in gun season I saw a guy get 3 steel in about 2 hours anchord in the river

i usally wait until i see steelhead going up the ladder before i start fishing.i fish the rogue river area.dont get much salmon but rock the steelhead around the end of oct. until the river freezes up fish skien in the moring then back troll later with hot and tots.was that a red boat you saw.if so that was me

mike

thats a good place to start alot depends on how high the water is on where i sit drop some spawn right away in the moring theres not many holes around there so somtimes i just drop back alittlel until i find a couple it can be fast and furious at times.i usally fish by myself im only a couple miles from there red starcraft