Rigger combo's?

Most people here net fish out the back of their boat. The down riggers are on the back corners. No lines out the back. So the 7 foot rod is closest to the back. The other rods can easily go over it. The 7 foot rod never needs to go over any other rod. That's why the 7 foot makes sense. In your case... Probably not.

I think my post was misleading, we net the fish from the back of the boat, there's just not a lot of room between the two rigger lines of the back corners. You have to steer them in between those lines is what I meant I guess.

It is just a matter of the lever principle. The longer the rod, the more lever arm the fish has on his end of the fulcrum (your left hand). Tuna rods are built for ultimate power, and most are 4-5' long. Longer rods absorb more shock, thus less strain and pounding on the angler, so that can be percieved as having more power. It is also why you can fight a big fish with much lower poundage line using a 12' steelhead/salmon rod, because the longer rod takes more of the stress. When you talk power, or the ability to move a fish, shorter is always king.

Another way to test the power principle is to take a 5 pound weight and tie it to your line ( a shaker king will suffice:eek:). Lift it with a 10' diver rod, then again with it tied to your 7' (equal line rating) rod.

Length of your rigger rods is a personal choice and there is no wrong answer. Pick the rods length that fits your setup on your boat and your preferred fishing style. What works on one boat isn't the best choice for another boat.