Steering Slop

So after having the boat out for a few trips I've noticed that the at low speed there is a lot of slop in the steering. At cruising speed it is not an issue, the steering is tight. This causes the most problems in waves or when using the autopilot. When a wave hits the boat, you have to over steer to correct and then you end up sawing the wheel to keep it strait. Same thing with the autopilot, it corrects on way, then has to over correct the other way. Eventually you are going in circles. So I tried to fix it. Found some slop in the conection between the outdrive and the steering cable so I tightened that up. Now, I can still turn the outdrive about 15* before the wheel starts to turn. I can watch of the steering cable by the outdrive move in and out without the wheel turning. I took the rack apart but there is no slop in the gears. I'm left with the cable must have streched and/or the housing expanded so that there is slop. Is there anything i'm missing? What are the options I have to fix it? Am I over exagerating the problem and it is normal for boats to do this?

Well I got everything back together, made sure everything was tight and such. I inspected the steering cable along the entire length and there are no cracks, it looks like it has been replaced since the boat was new. Seems like there is less slop than there was, but there is still some. Looking at the outdrive closer, I did notice that there is some chucking between the drive and steering spline. I think right now it is just a stack up of little things that are adding up to the amount i'm seeing. We'll have her out later this week and see how she goes.

We have owned the same ss235 since it was new in 74. It has always been sloppy at low speeds and yes it makes it very difficult to fish in any type of seas. We added 2 36" bags last year which really help keep it straight in rougher water.

We have owned the same ss235 since it was new in 74. It has always been sloppy at low speeds and yes it makes it very difficult to fish in any type of seas. We added 2 36" bags last year which really help keep it straight in rougher water.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm planning on getting a set of bags soon, now I know that size I want :thumb:

I have never used bags, but got a larger new to me boat last year and it is the first boat that I have spend any time on with trim tabs. I have found them to be fantastic for a number of reasons one of which is steering while trolling. I have an older boat and the steering is a little sloppy, but with the trim tabs down while going slow the boat has a lot less waggle to it and tends to track quite a bit straighter with less steering. It is also awsome for cutting waves vs. jumping them.

Just my 2 cents and another thing to think about.

• 2 months later...

If it's a Merccruiser I/O it could be a problem with the Gimbal Ring getting sloppy on the upper swival shaft. When the boat is out of the water if you can move the drive from side to side without the the stearing arm moving with it instantly then you have a problem in the ring. If the stearing lever moves in harnmony with the drive the problem is in the rack and pinion or the cable.

Gimble ring slop very common issue with Merc's, not a cheap or easy fix:(

mine also has this slop at slow speed.

If it's a Merccruiser I/O it could be a problem with the Gimbal Ring getting sloppy on the upper swival shaft. When the boat is out of the water if you can move the drive from side to side without the the stearing arm moving with it instantly then you have a problem in the ring. If the stearing lever moves in harnmony with the drive the problem is in the rack and pinion or the cable.