Mounting Tracks Question

I have a pair of Traxstech tracks that I am trying to mount to my Striper 1851 Walkarounds gunwalls. They are designed to be mounted using through bolts and backer from the under side. The right side will be easy enough, I can remove a speaker and reach up inside and do whats necessary. The left side however has zero access to the inside of the double walls. I may be able to get couple of thru bolts in the very back by reaching around from the battery compartment, maybe. The freshwater piping may be in the way.

If I use 1/4" shank stainless self tappers and epoxy the threads will this be sufficient? The tracks will never have downriggers mounted on them, just rod holders. The downriggers are already hard mounted. The glass in this area of the top of the sidewalls is almost 3/4" thick. I don't see a way to get inside on this boat, short of cutting an unnecessary hole on the inside.

Looking for some ideas.

i dont see why just using stainless sheet metal screws wouldnt work for you with that much fiberglass. ive been using cabelas quick draw holders on my old boat for my divers, and i,ve had them mounted with sheet metal screws. they are very solid. i weigh 250 lb and have lifted myself just holding on to the mounts. i,ve also mounted cleats on boats to tie my anchor rope off, and never had one come loose. you have to get your hole drilled big enough that your screw will go in tight. but if you get it to small your screw will get about half way in then stop or twist off. but you dont want it to big. and you want to use size 14 screws and long enough to go all the way in the fiberglass. there not going to come loose or brake. there as good as 1/2" bolts. if your still not sure just try them on a 2x4 board and try to get them off. good luck and let us know what you do.

sherman

Tony,

Having backing is always better because you spread the force out over a larger area, reducing the stress in the fiberglass. Howevever, with 3/4" of glass I think you would alright. If you do end up trying to put something to back it, you can get like 10" round covers that you cut a hole and mount a ring that they twist in and out of (sorry I can't explain it better), those might work. On my boat the fiberglass on the tops of the gunwales is only 1/4" so I had to put backing, but they are also open the entire length of the boat.

I mounted trees on my gunwales and they were 1.5" thick but too narrow to use the custom under plates my buddy Terry made. We ended up using 1 1/2" marine hardware screws. They worked really well and the mount is solid. I did put some epoxy in the holes just befor I sunk the screws. The biggest draw back is to be sure u have a good pilot hole,or u can ruin the screw head as these screws have a phillips head and are notoriously hard to sink. Finished the mounting in less than an hour and they are rock solid. Good luck.

Thanks guys. I guess I really don't have much to lose here. The one side I can use thru bolts and backer due to the speaker hole. I think I will use the #14 ss sheetmetal screws on the other and keep close eye on the status of the mounting over time. If they loosen up or show weakness, I can always remove and cut a hole on the inside gunwall like suggested. Good suggestion, I actually have one of those covers in the floor of the boat, and they are readily available. Like others have suggested, I had my planer masts mounted with ss sheetmetal screws, again because of no access to the area they were mounted in. No issues.

My own question was just answered. I pulled the speaker out and the entire space between the two walls is foam filled, no way to get at the bottom of the gunwalls. Totally foam filled hull! #14 SS Sheet metal screws all round, we'll see.

Just curious Tony, what kind of foam is it (ie is it sheet foam or is it filler foam). I know that when we put swivel seats in our 16 ft aluminum boat, the benches were filled with foam sheets underneath.

glad we had some answers that helped you. and its never a bad idea to check for loose screws. but when those screws go into the fiberglass tight its kinda wedged in there. the ones on my rod holders have been good and tight for atleast 7 or 8 years. good luck and great fishing.

sherman