u.v herring

dont crucify me if you think this is stupid.....my wife sent me a message on facebook this morning saying she was looking up making glow jello(under black light)this is achieved by substituting water for tonic water...link..do you think herring would have uv properties if it was brined in this?

Don, You may have stumbled across something. The do say the tonic is bitter. If they drink like a fish maybe they will hit it. (Pun Intended):lol: The UV properties would probably help. I'm not sure about the taste and smell.

Many things glow under a black light including bodily fluids. Crime scene investigators use black lights to detect blood, urine, etc, etc. I'm not suggesting that we make our own UV substances,:) just that there are a ton of different things that will glow UV. I would think that fish spawn would be one of them. I know a fisherman that will spit on every bait or lure he puts down. Does it help?? It didn't seem to hurt. Please nothing weird on the back of the boat. :lol:

Things that iluminate under black light and something that reflect UV are totally different. Last summer I studied all the research from the west coast on salmon cones and rods as it pertains to when and how salmon detect parts of the UV spectrum. I am lucky enough to live next door to my sister and husband who are chemical enginers and know thier friends who have access to millions of dollars of testing equipment used for taking readings of UV reflectiveness and UV light ouput in medical devices. After a night of salmon and beer they took some lures in for testing. Interesting what you find out. Because you can't see in the UV spectrum that fish can different companys selling UV stuff shine black light on it and say "look it's UV reflective". Just be careful of that statement. The bad thing is that tackle makers can not afford to do a test for themselves and with the rush to jump on the UV bandwagon that has been on the west coast for probibly over 10-15 years alot of wild statements are going around. I won't call anyone out because I don't want to get sued, but I tested everyone out there. You know who you are that are selling s##t to us fisherman. UV Blast is really good at delivering UV reflectiveness in fish eyeball ranges for salmon and walleyes by the way. That is one good product. I am in NO WAY connected to ANYTHING that deals with ANY UV products for sale in anyway. Just thought I would throw that in there.;) Chris

Things that iluminate under black light and something that reflect UV are totally different. Last summer I studied all the research from the west coast on salmon cones and rods as it pertains to when and how salmon detect parts of the UV spectrum. I am lucky enough to live next door to my sister and husband who are chemical enginers and know thier friends who have access to millions of dollars of testing equipment used for taking readings of UV reflectiveness and UV light ouput in medical devices. After a night of salmon and beer they took some lures in for testing. Interesting what you find out. Because you can't see in the UV spectrum that fish can different companys selling UV stuff shine black light on it and say "look it's UV reflective". Just be careful of that statement. The bad thing is that tackle makers can not afford to do a test for themselves and with the rush to jump on the UV bandwagon that has been on the west coast for probibly over 10-15 years alot of wild statements are going around. I won't call anyone out because I don't want to get sued, but I tested everyone out there. You know who you are that are selling s##t to us fisherman. UV Blast is really good at delivering UV reflectiveness in fish eyeball ranges for salmon and walleyes by the way. That is one good product. I am in NO WAY connected to ANYTHING that deals with ANY UV products for sale in anyway. Just thought I would throw that in there.;) Chris

Chris, Thanks for the informative post. Do you know of any common items paint etc. that is exceptional in it's UV reflective properties. :)

I just knew this was going to be a very informative thread when Don started it. Anyone else have some UV knowledge to share. :)

If you Google salmon eyesight and all the different studies done on the rods and cones of salmons eyes it took me weeks to read some of the articles written studying this subject and I am not even close to done. You could go on for months! A couple of interesting themes for me came to the top. A salmons eyes can not see different colors at great distances and thier eyes are built for seeing differences in shading more then color until they are really close in. Salmons smell and lateral line sense probibly has WAY more to do with a fish coming in to bite then we think. Think about all those big catch charter guys, it is the spread that acts like a school of bait that helps them get fish. One guy is all fly, some are a mix and some are all spoons with all different colors that get 25 fish limits in the AM. I personaly think it sounds and feels good to a salmon to crash that spread and feed, let alone when I talk to those guys if someone touches a bait with aftershave or lotion they will wash it or throw it away. A top coat is the easiest way to add a little UV reflectiveness. Remember if you spray a lure and you get some on your hands and you touch the line you get transfer, thats not good, they could see the line. I fished ALOT of UV sprayed flashers in the last 3 years, a little may be better then alot. I never fished with all UV stuff in a spread so be cautious with that. Study all the info on when salmon's eyes changing from rods to cones and back and the delay in when a salmon gets used to the change. Pay attention to the "Shading" of a lure (stripes, dots or a glow slash or combos of them and when they get hot in the water). I have a small group of friends hear on the west side that over 4 years have been making great strides in putting more fish in the box when over all catches have not been increasing in our ports. I think it has to be because of the studies of sight, smell and sound we have been doing. This year will just be another study year for us as well trying to make another jump, can't wait. I just thought I would add I have started reading alot on the west coast salmon fishery and the techniques they use out there. These ideas are old news to them. Thanks to Tony C on getting my mind started. Chris

Thanks for the very scientific take Chris. Very interesting, and just goes to show, fishing is and has been quite a learning experience in progress. No matter how many years we do it, you can always learn something new, and always something new to spend more $$$$$ on.....lol. Btw, where do we buy the Blast? Thanks.

lurecraft.com/

Jannsnetcraft.com

Luremaker.com

basspro.com

cabelas.com

Google it and even more come up. Go with the epoxy,not spray. Powder works well if you powder coat walleye jig heads. There has to be something to this UV thing, I'm just not that lucky!