32 Hookups in Fair Haven 8/19 & 8/20

On Saturday, Dad, Jay and I left Shawn's Marina at 5:00am and set up out in 120FOW. Way too much action to give a play-by-play. We ended up 12 for 22 for the day. Several doubles and a triple today (landed the triple followed immediately by a double...landed them too!). We were joined by Yankee Troller for a few hours Saturday night. He fits in really well with my regular crew...maybe you ought to fish with us more YT! He and I always have a ton of fun together. It was just nice to finally get into some good fish with him on board. Of course, most of the dropped fish came while I was on the rod in the evening..I bet I lost four or five in a row, all after a good fight. I'm sure Yankee will want to point out that our landing percentage was considerably lower than it should have been thanks to me!

Hot rigs were a Green Pro-Chip/Green/Glow Northern King fly, a white Spin Dr/ATOMMIK Hammer fly, and a Chartreuse Pro-Chip/Northern King Kryptonite fly. I even had a meat rig fire once. Most fish came down 100-120' out over 130-165 a bit N/E of port. Several kings in the mid 20's, but none bigger than 26#. The wire dipsy rigs were the best producers, and we had them out 310' on a #2, and 330' on a #1.5. Temps were fairly deep and inconsistent. Better than I expected after the wind last week, but not where I'd like to see it at this time of year.

47b6d601b3127cce8c5bca27ea6700000016108QaMWjRs2aU

47b6d601b3127cce8c5b49332b9a00000025138QaMWjRs2aU

We kept a few for the smoker and for friends.

On Sunday, I was joined by Charlie and Bill for an outing. We went back out to the area we'd found fish the night before and they were still there. Set up the same program we had the night before and we started hooking up big time. We also suffered from shrinkage big-time! Bill plays a big King for 30 minutes only to have the hook pull out....Charlie has a Black/glo Spin Doc/Northern King glow fly break off...Bill has one break off a Hammer fly....so the story went today. We hooked up a solid 10 times this morning and had several fish on for more than 5 or 10 minutes. It just wasn't Bill or Charlie's day to land fish. I didn't help things when on Bill's last fish of the day I go to net it and get the net stuck on the hook before the fish was in the net. End result: Another lost Northern King Kryptonite fly. My bad. Sorry about that Bill. Wish I had that one to do over again. We ended up going 3 for 10. The guys wanted to take a coulple of fish home, so they kept the steelie and a King. The lake got pretty rough about 2/3 of the way into the trip, but to their credit, they stuck it out and we managed to hook up a few more times as a result.

47b6d601b3127cce8c5befd3aa1900000016108QaMWjRs2aU

By far the best weekend of King fishing we've had in Fair Haven so far this year.