Spring Trolling Milwaukee Harbor....Anyone Out There Do It?

So lately I've been debating on whether to make the trek down to the southern end of the lake to partake in the early season coho fishery or whether to head up to Milwaukee and attempt to fish the harbor for brown trout. I was just wondering if anyone here fishng the harbor in spring for browns and if so, if you had any advice for doing so.

Thanks all.

I've been fishing spring browns out of milwaukee for about 15 years. The last 5 years aren't nearly as good as it used to be. It used to be so good you could catch 30- 40 browns in a couple hours just about every trip. Now it can be done but alot less often. it is a way shorter window than it used to be also. Their are alot of boat trolling the harbor and it gets crowded. Best advice would be fish away from other boats and you will get em. Check your lines every 15 minutes or so cause their is a lot of crap that hangs up on your gear. Rebel fast tracs work great. But if I had to choose between browns and coho's I'd do the coho's. Can't eat those browns anyways.

A bunch of boats out today, the river launch is open. If you wanted to jig in the harbor, over by the Jones Island you will see to clearly discolored panels of the metal sea wall, just south of the river mouth, very important spot! That is where the warm water discharges, holds a lot of fish when they are in the harbor.... Just use your sonar to find the discharges and get your line in there. Spawn worked the best for me whenever I tried it.

These days I stay outside the breakwall, avoid congestion, and increase your chances of getting some nice fish versus the dirty river browns.....

If you want a really good time, wait until the river is all the way open and fish by the 13th Street bridge, you can access if from canal.. Last year I went with a buddy and the northerns were hitting almost every cast!