smoking pike

hfitch

Wondering if any one has ever tried smoking pike? If so, do you have a good brine recipe for it? I suppose you can smoke anything you want but I wanted some input before I totally destroy the fish!! I've never smoked fish myself as we just got our first smoker last year but plan on putting it to good use this spring and summer!

i have always used a dry brine..

4 cups brown sugar

1 cup kosher salt

8 garlic cloves

the only problem ive had is with filet thickness you almost need to seperate into different bowls according to thickness as the smaller are either sweet or salty compared to the larger..i also use apple chips(wood.not an actual apple:)) in the smoker

That dry brine sounds really good! I've got some venison jerky going right now in the smoker. How hot do you get your smoker and for how long with your recipe, Don? I know it all depends on the thickness of the fillets. Do you scale and leave the skin on or do you completely fillet them?

That dry brine sounds really good! I've got some venison jerky going right now in the smoker. How hot do you get your smoker and for how long with your recipe, Don? I know it all depends on the thickness of the fillets. Do you scale and leave the skin on or do you completely fillet them?

I don't let I get over 150degrees. I keep checking and rotating the racks up and down as needed. When it just starts gettin a light brown i take it out(salmon)keep in mind it will keep cooking for a bit after you take it out of the smoker. If it's a dark golden brown when you take it out it may end up dry by time it cools. Also I've never liked the taste right out of the smoker. So don't get discouraged if you taste it right away and aren't happy. Let it completely cool and sit. Also lately I've been smoking it with the skin off and the lateral lines and pin bones removed and it's made for a much better finished product

Winter time would be the best time to smoke pike as the smoker will run at a cooler temp. With white meat fish you do not want the smoker to get to hot. You may want to mix 50/50 lemon/lime juice with water and occasionally wet the fillets. It keeps them moist and gives them a better flavor.