Late Winterize for Outboards

Eyefull

Just finally put the Eyefull to bed for the winter. Yep, I know, very late for me. I actually had her on the water in November a couple times this year though. I was also keeping her water ready in case someone was looking to buy her and wanted a water test.

I am always pleasently surprised when the gearcase lube comes out just as green and clear as it went in. I have had her since new and I am a firm believer in proper maintenance. I know guys that don't change their lower gear lube every year or fog their engines. They are usually the guys spending cash on mechanics labor instead of new gear:eek:. Now it is just changing the kicker four stroke oil in spring and new plugs.

Nothing special to offer with this post, just darn lucky it got me out of the house today. Couldn't take any more big ten massacres:(. Happy New Year to all and hopefully 2011 is the best fishing yet.

Just finally put the Eyefull to bed for the winter. Yep, I know, very late for me. I actually had her on the water in November a couple times this year though. I was also keeping her water ready in case someone was looking to buy her and wanted a water test.

I am always pleasently surprised when the gearcase lube comes out just as green and clear as it went in. I have had her since new and I am a firm believer in proper maintenance. I know guys that don't change their lower gear lube every year or fog their engines. They are usually the guys spending cash on mechanics labor instead of new gear:eek:. Now it is just changing the kicker four stroke oil in spring and new plugs.

Nothing special to offer with this post, just darn lucky it got me out of the house today. Couldn't take any more big ten massacres:(. Happy New Year to all and hopefully 2011 is the best fishing yet.

Tony, The guys that don't maintain their rigs will be dock side with the engine cover off next Spring. So what if they tie up a dock for an hour and a half. If they do manage to start they will probably lose power 5 miles out and need a tow. It's the same guys you see on the road with burnt out headlights etc. Darn it.@%$& I broke my New Year resolution about bitchin. :lol:

Tony, The guys that don't maintain their rigs will be dock side with the engine cover off next Spring. So what if they tie up a dock for an hour and a half. If they do manage to start they will probably lose power 5 miles out and need a tow. It's the same guys you see on the road with burnt out headlights etc. Darn it.@%$& I broke my New Year resolution about bitchin. :lol:

I need some duct tape, w d 40, and some ball bearings and I am good to go :lol: You're correct. Routine maintenance is too cheap to miss, and in the long run will save $$$$$$$$$$$ by keeping you out of the shop or parts store.... This fall when I pulled my outdrive we found water in the bellows. Simple fix come spring time and we're good to go. Not sure the extent of the damage to the bellows, as there was only a cup or two of water in there, however, that's enough to prompt me to take care of this instead of waiting until it is a bigger issue...