Scotty Downriggers

sjk984

OK I am looking at getting a set of new DR's. I have been looking at all of them and started to look at the scotty's and new cannons.

Has anyone used the new scotty's and what do you think of them.

Also I am leaning toward the cannons because I have always used cannons. And has anyone else noticed that all the scotty print ads' I see have cannon down riggers mounted on the boat in the adds

Thanks Steve.

Don't think the new Scottys are available to the general public just yet. I've had the old style Scottys on my boat since 2003 (replaced some ancient Cannon Mag 10A's) and couldn't be happier with them. I thought about upgrading this year to the new ones, but don't think the extra money will be there. Maybe next year.

Tim

We've ran both brands on our boats. Our Scotty's were bulletproof! No complaints about them ever. Our new boat will be equipped with the brand new DT-10's. I am excited to run these as they were completely re-designed with help from some very serious fisherman throughout the Great Lakes. You can't go wrong with either of these brands.

I played with the new Scotty's last August on a friends boat, and they were nice. A little faster than the originals, but I don't think they are getting the speeds they are claiming. Could have just been the prototype too. I also played with a prototype Cannon DT last season which was really nice. I like the build up to full speed with the Cannons. The ergonomics of these new Cannons are nice, and they fixed a lot of the flaws people have had with them over the years. Cannon is a company that is listening to their consumer base, which I love!

That Scotty ad has been around for a few years. You wonder why it hasn't been changed.

I love my Scottys. I have used just about all the brands out there and still wouldnt buy anything else. You would not regret your purchase. Though like all things in life, everybodys different.

Boats around here on Lake Superior probably have Scotty riggers at least 5 to 1 over all other brands. We fish deep around here and are quite a bit more harsh on riggers than other in other places. Ask the guys on Lake O whats their favorite rigger. 5 to 1 for the Scottys. Same thing on most of that Lake, they fish DEEP. People talk about the "plastic" parts on a Scotty but the funny thing is ....they never break. They are tough as nails. My riggers unspool over 300' of cable dozens of time a day, every day for the whole summer. I have yet to see another rigger that will handle this flawlessy like my Scottys. Look on this forum and others at the Downrigger Threads. Big Jon, Cannon and others all have numerous threads about issues and problems and how-to's.(I will say Big Jon service is second to none!) But the point is you dont see those kind of threads on Scottys....ever. People bash the "Horizontal" reels on a Scotty.....but then they moan about how when they swing their boom riggers to the side and wind up the cable it all bunches at one side of the spool. Funny, that dosnt happen on a Scotty. Also, look into the power draw numbers on the different brands. Nothing more effiecent than a Scotty.

Well, now that my bias is out there....To each their own! Thats whay they make more than one kind! :thumb: Good luck with your purchase. Everybody makes quality these days, its just nit-picking it down to what brand YOU like best!