Okuma MA 45DX

Rebuilt my Okuma reels this week all 6 of them total cost was around 75 bucks for all the parts. Upgraded the drags and repaired the level winds on all of them. For 6 year old reels that have caught a lot of fish there was very little wear or damage inside them I guess that means I took care of them. I got the parts from Tuna's and we had some issues with the thickness of the new drag washers so after a couple of calls and talking to Paul we came up with a perfect solution which got me within .002 of the stock specs and they work fantastic. If any of you are thinking of doing this get a good micrometer or caliper and get all the thickness's before you order parts. It will save you some grief Paul and Tom were great to deal with and sent me the corrected parts at no charge. The issue is that Okuma has used several different drag combination's over the years so for many of their reels it is a matter of getting the right mix of parts to go to the upgraded drags. This is not just a Okuma issue it applies to most reels as well as cars trucks boats and pretty much everything we buy anymore as they all buy parts as needed and make minor changes from production run to production run.

Now for the big test to put some fish on them and see if they work as nice as they feel. Might have to do a couple float trips with them pulling plugs and see what a nice chrome fish feels like on them.

Thanks for the heads up Jim. Just got my stuff today from Tuna, planning on working on them next week. Can't say enough good things about Tom and Paul, always have great products and service. Replaced all my drags on my MA 30's last year and they are awesome.This year it's the 45's turn. Come on spring!!!! but not until I can get my drags fixed :grin:

P.S. I think prices are going up after the first of the year

Edited by Hotdog71
p.s.

yep mine are Magna Pro 45DX one thing to note that might help all Okuma reels have a lot number on the reel seat. Oh the only thing that I had a problem with was the new drag washers added .020 to the drag stack they still worked however they would not back off fully. So even with the drag backed all the way off it still had about 3 lbs of drag. Since we corrected them I can back the drags off till they free spool and everything between free spool and max drag is smooth as glass. No more touchy drags.