Big Chief Smoker

Hotdog71

I just picked up a Big Chief smoker from a guy who was giving it away. I was wondering if anyone has/uses this type of smoker? It is electric and the one I usually use is charcoal, so I'm looking for a little advise about smoking time. How long, what temperature does it reach, preheating, or whatever nugget of information you might have for me. This would be used as a secondary smoker, for stuff during the winter months. I was thinking about making something to put around it to insulate it better. I know they make a insulated cover for it, but several reviews of the product say it is a tight fit and you may have to remove the handles for it to fit properly.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks

To help hold heat during the winter months a windbreak of some sort is necessary. This can range from a larger cardboard box, a 55 gallon drum, or a heavy blanket ( I have used a moving blanket with a couple of smokers in the past during the winter).

Don't use an extension cord. If you have to use one make it as short as possible and heavy duty.

My dad had one of those smokers. Get a army surplus wool blanket from sportsmans guide for like 20 bucks and cover the smoker it is all you need. as for the chips use the luhr jensen kind of shredded for the best results in that smoker and do not soak them. the heat element gets hot but not that hot. if it was windy we used it on one side or the other of the garage to act as a wind break