Moor Sub-Troll Tips Part I

Guys,

I saw this post on another board and thought it would be a worth-while read for us here. It's long, so I've broken it up into three parts. I'm not affiliated with Moor in any way. I just thought this info would benefit our members.

"Moor Sub-Troll 900, Support, Info & Tips"

Hello:

My name is Hank Zagara. I am a co-owner of Moor Electronics, Inc., a regular advertiser in Great Lakes Angler Magazine and also a prize contributor to their recent Silver Challenge tournament. We manufacture the well known SUB-TROLL 900, “Speed and Temperature at the Lure" product. I have joined this forum for the following reasons:

A. Be a resource for anyone seeking information regarding our SUB-TROLL-900 and or other products.

B. Assist any current ST-900 owners with any issues they may have with their unit.

C. Respond to and clarify some disinformation which has been posted here and on other related web forums.

First I would like to extend my thanks and appreciation to all our current customers. We have been manufacturing and supporting the ST-900 for nearly 20 years now, and want to assure you that we will continue to provide only the finest service and support for your product for years to come. We truly appreciate all the kind words many of you have shared both here and through other channels. Thank you!

With literally thousands of ST-900's now currently installed in the field it is our goal to provide whatever is necessary to see that each and every unit is working and providing its owner the performance and operation they've come to expect. Simply stated our products work as advertised. If for any reason you are having a problem with yours, regardless of its age, we want to hear from you, and work to assure your 100% satisfaction.

We proudly stand behind all our products. Please, if you are having any trouble whatsoever with your Moor product contact us and lets get it working! Although I will attempt to respond to general interest inquiries here, we have found that a phone call is much more effective in resolving individual customer issues.

Call us toll free at 800-876-4971. M-F 9AM - 5PM EST

Additionally for those considering adding a Speed and Temp. unit to their boat, please also feel free to contact us with your questions regarding the SUB-TROLL 900 at the same toll free number above.

Tips for ST-900 users: OK I said I was here to assist. Although I've read many posts regarding specific installation issues it would be impractical to address them all in this short (or not so short, sorry) post. However one of the more popular topics has been regarding the connection of the downrigger cable to the underwater probe transmitter.

Over the years we have made several improvements to the ST-900 system. Although the system still does require the use of coated downrigger cable (supplied with unit) a direct cable to probe connection with complete sealing or taping of the connection is no longer necessary in most cases, and a removable snap swivel connection may be used. However since parts of the connection will be left uncoated and exposed to the water a decrease in the maximum working depth may result. While operation to the full 200’ depth can only be guaranteed using the Standard Direct Connection Method, over the years we’ve heard from many SUB-TROLL 900 users who have used this removable connection method with no noticeable loss in performance. For this reason we strongly suggest you consider its use.

Caution: When using this connection method use only silver colored crimp sleeves and snap swivels. Black coated hardware may not conduct electricity due to the coating and prevent the system from operating. Also do not use terminators constructed with plastic as they may not provide a continuous electrical path between the cable and the upper swivel eye of the probe.

With this removable method of connection the system will definitely work at shallow depths and most likely much deeper. However we recommend you do some trial runs to determine if operation is reliable down to the depths you require. Should you determine that the working depth is insufficient; try covering as much of the connection as possible with the supplied rubber insulating tape, or other sealant while leaving enough exposed to be able to operate the snap swivel clip mechanism. Be sure the connection is dry before applying the tape. The amount of signal loss at the connection is proportional to the amount of exposed conductive metal surface area in contact with the water. Anything you can do to minimize this exposed area should help increase the working depth. If the system fails to work at all, even at shallow depths, do not suspect the bare connection to be the problem. Re-check the installation looking for other problems. Additionally, exposed metal at the probe connection, and or bare sections of coated cable will affect only the strength of the signal, and thus the maximum working depth. These conditions will not affect the accuracy of the readings. Sorry for the long description, but I want to try to be as clear as possible. I would be more than happy to provide additional assistance/tips here if it is welcome and found to be helpful. It's your forum, you let me know. Again as always if you have any questions regarding this or other installation issues give us a call.