Haven't been out for a while and it was nice to get back on the water. Left the dock at 7:15 on an north east troll nada , turned NW back into 60 ft ,while putting out different baits to wash 7 color goes off , 7lb king. changed all the baits as these were clean enough. Had a couple of drive buys on the lead cores. Downriggers were quite all day. Put 20 miles on , going deep to shallow. one fish in 6 hours . marked only a few fish. bait pods were almost non existent. no chop execpt in the harbor , plenty of rollers out on the

main lake , 2-5 ft. like our own roller coaster. wind changed and called it a day.

Ended 1 for 2 very poor fishing . Hope the weather stabilizes soon. Guess it could be worse I could be on the east side. Break out the surf boards the breakers are coming again.

Tight Lines

Jim

We all wanted west winds and we got them , just a little too strong. Surface temps ran 49-53 and anywhere below 20 ft 42-46 very cold water. Do the fish go out deep in situations like this ? Scattered? right on the bottom? Out deep? I guess thats why they call it fishing.

We all wanted west winds and we got them , just a little too strong. Surface temps ran 49-53 and anywhere below 20 ft 42-46 very cold water. Do the fish go out deep in situations like this ? Scattered? right on the bottom? Out deep? I guess thats why they call it fishing.

The cold water in close will move the bait fish into the harbor/river to where the warm water is. The big fish wont be far from the bait fish, and they should be staging for the run. The big fish will be comfortable in the cold water in close. In Muskegon when the lake rolled over, the channel would be loaded with alewives and we would fish between the arms(outer break walls), or work the 30-50FOW range. COMBAT fishing!

BTW.....We did not what a strong West wind on this side of the lake. :P

Sounds like fishing is really getting tough. Like Mike was saying the water can get to cold and the best spot is at the harbors or river mouths. When you hear the pro's talking about the perfect water temp being 42-44 degrees I disagree, that's to cold for me, because the fish move to the harbor mouths and off the deeper structure.

"BTW.....We did not what a strong West wind on this side of the lake." I was speaking of this side mike(all over the local forums they all wanted west winds, now the water is too cold, ) be careful what you wish for you just might get it. Combat fishing is not my cup of tea, I would rather fish out away from the crowd and get 1 fish then to fish with a slew of boats get upset and raise my blood pressure.

"BTW.....We did not what a strong West wind on this side of the lake." I was speaking of this side mike(all over the local forums they all wanted west winds, now the water is too cold, ) be careful what you wish for you just might get it. Combat fishing is not my cup of tea, I would rather fish out away from the crowd and get 1 fish then to fish with a slew of boats get upset and raise my blood pressure.

And now we are going to get hit with another big W, NW blow. At least the water can't get mixed up anymore than it is already is.