tournament question

hfitch

To all you guys that are familiar with tournament rules, to run a tournament, do you need to get a permit from the state of Michigan or the DNRE? We are trying to put together a fishing tournament in Port Sanilac. It will be a raffle type tournament with entry and fish getting you the tickets. $25 dollars per boat. We are all new to trying to set this type of thing up and this was one of the questions that we need answers for. All input would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I fished bass tournaments for years, and ran a salmon tournament series last year.

You are suppose to have a marine events permit from the dnr whenever you use a public launch for any event. ie....fishing tournament, wedding, etc, etc, etc If you are using a private launch, you do not need a permit from the dnr, but you should still get permission from the owner of the launch. Some private launches will have discounted launch fees for tournament boats. ;)

You should have some sort of disclaimer that protects you in the event someone gets injured. This should be a waiver signed by the captain of every boat, that releases you, and any sponsors from any issues that may happen during the event as a result of you putting on the event.

I also have a disclaimer for this website, myself, and any sponsors of this website.