Flasher Fly program

What is the most important aspect of your flasher fly program? What things do you do or look for to have a productive flasher bite? It's getting to be that time of the season where flashers will rule over spoons on most trips.

We keep our hooks sharp and pay close attention to our lead lengths. Shorter leads gives the flies more action. Sometimes the fish like that. Other times the fish are less aggressive and a longer lead length, slower presentation can coax them to bite.

Throwing away the factory leaders and running 2 single hooks. I almost never lose fish anymore on them. I find I don't need as many hits when pretty much every hit comes to the box. The rest is finding what works best for you and your setups. I tend to stay fast and aggressive so I have adjusted how I run them based on how I fish them. For me I don't run as long a leader as others do. The way a friend explained to me years ago salmon tend to slash at bait as such they miss way more than they hit and often will injure a baitfish so by keeping everything short the flasher looks like a fish hitting bait and the fly looks like injured bait it missed causing a fish to hit it trying to steal the bait. This results in fish charging in to take the fly and hard hits which set the hook very nicely.

consistency and paying attention to details. matching one fly to another. ie: lead lengths, bead colors, mass of fly material, head color, flasher, etc, etc...sometimes it is changing one or all of the previously mentioned. spoons can be some what idiot proof. just snap it on there and throw it out there, maybe change speeds. Flasher/fly need to be tweaked to your boat and fishing style. And most important FLUOROCARBON!

you need to have patience and confidence. Sometimes the fish just aren't biting!

Flashers and flies are probably my favorite presentation when it comes to catching salmon. I run them allot off dipseys and IMO you gotta have a good quality sharp hooks (i prefer a tournament tie or tandem single configuration with gamakatsu or Owners), fly leader length(may vary day to day or with flasher size), tied on a fluor leader material to impart action to the fly as opposed to more supbtle mono, not to mention it can take allot of shock and is abrasion resistant, and then distance from the dipsey to the flasher is very important to me. Ive found the longer i go the better. Mine are currently 7' and seem to work well. Off the riggers i normally have a 20-60' set back. Finally the beads and fly material. Sometimes they want a bulkier fly, so one with a fresh skirt and larger beads may be what they prefer. Other times, they prefer a fly thats been pretty knarled up and is missing lots of tinsel. I think fly size, as in length is also important. I tie some 5" magnum flies outta Flashabou and they do really well. A favorite is an 8" Glow blade Mnt. Dew SD w/mag bloody nose fly. I never take this combo apart, its been a great producer for me. And the 22" setback from tip of loop to bend in rear hook has been consistant for me behind the 8" flashers.

Works for me, good luck.