Standard Horizon CP180 Chartplotter - review

After several months of researching the numerous chartplotter options available and almost becoming brain dead from it, I finally purchased the CP180. After all the bad reports on Lowrance lately it made it much easier to pick up this unit with the 3 year warranty.

I hooked this unit up in the house to check it out and punch in my waypoints from my handheld. This unit has the external antenna and I was surprised how fast it locked on the satellites in the house. Picture clarity is amazingly nice. Was quite easy to mark and edit waypoints. It sports a lot of features I like. In the cursor mode while scanning around it displays the distance away and bearing. Can also run in in dual screen mode. Zoom in and out is quite fast either by step zoom or quick over/under zoom. MOB function is easy to use and remove. The toggle switch makes it easy to move the cursor around quickly.

Now I have to finish mounting in the boat and will be all set. As I don't have a lot of dash room this was the perfect size with a 5" screen. I did purchase the C-Map Maxx Wide card Great Lakes to go with it and that I feel was necessary. The unit without the card just displays the shorelines and basically blank water. Looking forward to getting out on the bay next weekend to test her out live.

048.jpg

045.jpg