Autopilot reviews

Hey guys, I did not want to hi-jack someone elses thread so I decided to post a different one.

As you all probably know this is my first boat in a long while and I have found steering it to be some what challenging. Even when the wind is light, that thing tends to have a mind of its own and not having power steering makes it even tougher.

I have been slowy working through it, but my crews tend to know even less than I do about boating/fishing than I do, so I usually have to set lines, untangle things, re-tie leaders..... and that leaves my crew steering the boat which could be consider "very comical" in some cultures. :eek:

Although I do have the cash for an auto pilot right know, I am seriously considering for next season. So here are a few questions I figure the "pros" will be best suited to answer.

One problem I have is over compensating and thus having to constantly go left or right, so will an autopilot hold a pretty steady heading so I can set lines/net fish or does it just get you to point A by any means necessary?

Are there models that I can use with an I/O, non-power steering?

Do I have to have a NMEA GPS unit for the AP to "talk to"?

Finally, any reviews of your system, good or bad, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

Nearly all AP will hold a good course they are smart enough to learn your boat and adapt to current condidtions. You only need a NMEA GPS if you want to use it to plot a course or provide waypoints all AP's hava a compass as part of the system. If it is cable steered your I/O should be able to be setup with a A/P depending on how much steering effort it takes to turn the wheel. If you have Hyd steering even better if you have a older Mercruiser no power steering and want to switch it to hyd steering send me a PM I have a steering cyl I don't need. Personally I have held off on a AP for 3 years with the hopes of getting a hyd system on my boat.

Jim my system is cable controlled, however it does take a fair amount of effort to turn the wheel. I am not sure if thats just the way it is, or the cables are worn/rusted.

Do you know if the AP is hooked up to the cables up front or does it hook up at the end in the engine compartment?

I suppose either way having hydraulic steering would be a plus.

Do you know what it takes to add hyd steering? It sounds like I would need a pump that runs off the engine (i.e power steering pump), and a cylinder to acutate the outdrive. There has to be more to it than that?

Does anyone have any good links to follow an actual install?