Hummigbird 385ci

zollerj

I was wondering if anyone has taken a look at the new Hummingbird 385ci as an economical way to get into having a combo unit. To me everything looks good as specs go, but I am curious if anyone has allready given this unit a try. If not is there any other suggestions in this price range for a different company's combo unit?

I have no experience with that unit but Humminbird has made a lot of improvements over the past few years and everyone I know who has one loves it. Like Ken said, the screen will be small but instead of using it in split screen mode you could always flip back and forth between the screens. Use the GPS to navigate and sonar to fish. If it works well you can always look to add another unit down the road. Seems like an economical way to get started.

I’ve had a 383ci (385ci is just the upgraded unit) for 4 or 5 years now on my bass boat. It’s been an excellent unit. Sonar works great. Marks fish and bottom well and tracks bottom well at higher speeds. The gps is accurate but the mapping is a little lacking but the 385 now has an option for mapping cards so that takes care of that issue. Great unit for the price. Other unit to look at is a lowrance m68. Have one for ice fishing and works just as well with a little more fine adjustment on the sonar then the humminbird. Cabelas has it for $350 right now. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all of the reply's guy's... I think I will be purchasing something simialr in the near future, but am a little nervous on the screen size. Does anyone know of somewhere in the grand rapids area to look at this unit? I am afraig a 500 or 700 series might be necessary...

So this weekend I went and took a look and compared the 597ci, the 387ci, and the 788ci. I really liked the look of the 788, and the 3 "hot buttons" really looked nice. Came home and found a great deal on a used one online. So the 788ci won. does anyone have any beggining setting suggestions for this new to me bird?