Lead core rods

I'm setting up a few lead core rigs for this year and was wondering what I need to look for in rods. I have a couple of medium action rigger rods but need a couple more. I'm not wanting to break the bank for the rods but would like something decent.

For short cores, a med action rod is great. For longer cores and copper, you want a rod with some backbone and a Med-Heavy to Heavy action. Rod legnth seems to be a personal preference. Some guys like short rods, some like long rods. There is really no "right" answer....its all about what YOU like! Everybodys different, and every boat fishes a little different too! Most of my lead-core rods are 8'6" and I like em!

I love the Gander Mountain Guide Series Lead Core Rods. They are very high quality and very reasonably priced, especially compared to a Shimano or something like that. I have 8 of them now, but my oldest ones are about 6 years old and still no issues at all. Good blanks, solid guides, and a fair price.

Check em out. :thumb:

I have several of the Diawa Wilderness rods that are going into their 4th season they come in many sizes and actions very hard to beat for 15 dollar rods. I also like the Diawa Firewolf which I beleive they dropped that line to move more of the Heartland series which is a good rod but starting to get too close in price to the Shimano TDR rods which I would take over the Heartland rods any day. So for fast and cheap buy the Wilderness rods they will get you several seasons then move up to the TDR rods which are a better rod but not sure they are worth double the money. I guess I will know if my Wilderness rods ever fail but no matter what they have caught a lot of fish.

As stated above, everyone has a different idea , I like 7 ft lead core rod by okuma.

I also have a few diawa 7ft lead core rods , becouse I think okuma quit makeing them.

The diawa heartlands are around 25 to 30 depending on the store and the okumas are like 20.

IMO, the best rods for the money, Ugly Stick Tiger Rod mod 2201.

7' Med Action, Stainless Guides, and enough backbone to pull core and boards. If I could only buy one rod that had to last me the rest of my life it would be those, hands down.

Unless you really want to do it right, just buy a dozen rp2's...