Great Lakes levels above long-term average

Steve Arend

Great Lakes levels above long-term average

MARQUETTE - Water supplies to the Lake Superior Basin and lakes Michigan and Huron were well above their respective long-term averages for the month of January, according to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Currently, Lake Superior is about four inches below its long-term average beginning of February level and is two inches below the level recorded a year ago.

This past month, the level of Lake Superior dropped by about two inches. The lake usually drops by three inches during January. Lakes Michigan and Huron rose by about two inches in January, while the lakes usually drop by an inch each January.

The level of lakes Michigan and Huron are about 15 inches below their long-term average beginning of February levels and they are about seven inches lower than a year ago.

http://www.miningjournal.net/news/story/024202006_new07-n0204.asp

Steve

I hope the trend continues, however, I think the reason for the increased January levels is due to the warm weather and snowmelt that usually comes much later in the spring. My fear is the warm weather means increased evaporation and lack of snowmelt in a couple of months is going to mean lower levels overall. A lot of the launches seemed very shallow this past year, seems hard to believe they could get much shallower and still be usable.

My fear is the warm weather means increased evaporation and lack of snowmelt in a couple of months is going to mean lower levels overall.

Lets hope for some snow and a lot of rain in the spring.