Jimmy Johnson - Kobalt Tools

GLF

I was watching the speed channel yesterday and watching the practice session for the race. They had the camera on Jimmy Johnsons car in the garage while it was being worked on. I watched one of the crew members using a Dewalt power drill with a screwdriver tip on it working on the left rear axle. Not sure what he was doing.

Does Kobalt make battery powered tools, or is this a slip up on the race team?

Mechanics own their own tools they are not provided by the sponsor when shooting a commercial they may use a provided set of tools but in real life we buy our own. Large shops and business's buy the big stuff that everyone shares but that is it. Many places offer tool and eqipment allotment's which is much like mileage reimbursements but you buy and own your tools and they come and go with you. I have been in several shops over the years where I was the only one in the building that owned the tools to do certain jobs, where I currently work has added a huge amount of jobs we can do in house because I am there and know how to do the work and have the tools to do it. Showing someone how to do certain jobs is not that hard getting them to buy several thousand dollars worth of tools is a differant story. I had more invested in my tools than my home untill I sold my big boxes I still have the tools just not the 25,000 dollar tool box they used to be in.

Yep but still the tools nearly always belong to the mechanic I have both Dewalt and Makita and have owned several other brands as well. Dewalt is great but overpriced batteries and heavy I have a bunch of their stuff and it sits unused cause I won't pay what they want for new batteries there are a couple of things I want and when I really need new batteries for one of my tools I will buy one of them and get the new batteries for all my stuff and a new tools at the same time. 170 bucks for 2 batteries or 199 for 2 batteries a charger drill and a case any one else notice that. Sometimes I think they put junk batteries in the sets to get you to buy more batteries.

Yep but still the tools nearly always belong to the mechanic I have both Dewalt and Makita and have owned several other brands as well. Dewalt is great but overpriced batteries and heavy I have a bunch of their stuff and it sits unused cause I won't pay what they want for new batteries there are a couple of things I want and when I really need new batteries for one of my tools I will buy one of them and get the new batteries for all my stuff and a new tools at the same time. 170 bucks for 2 batteries or 199 for 2 batteries a charger drill and a case any one else notice that. Sometimes I think they put junk batteries in the sets to get you to buy more batteries.

I buy Black and Decker Firestorm batteries for my Dewalt stuff. the 18V batteries are $25 at the outlet stores. Just have to cut a few plastic tabs off to fit the Dewalt drills and they last just as long as Dewalt XRP packs. Charge in the same Dewalt chargers too.

Jim, I think you are right about the battery deal. Before Christmas, I bought a dewalt 1/2" hammer drill, two batteries and charger for 129.99 plus tax. So far the batteries are holding up. ;)

Over here our Radio Shacks were turned into the Source by Circuit City. I'm told they rebuild batteries for much less than new, but don't have a price yet as I called too late today!

I've used Dewalt, Makita and Hitachi at work and all performed well. I don't care for anything over 18 volts as they get too heavy. They solved the weight and duration of charge issues by going to Lithium Ion batteries. The only problem again is cost of the battery and you have to buy a matching charger:angry2:

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.