Reel Fill Calculator

GLF

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Two questions:

1. Regarding Note #3 directing the user to always use Berk. Big Game line diameters.

Question: Is there any reason I can't use the exact line diameter from the manufacturer if they specify capacity in MM line diameter/Meters Capacity?  I would just need to convert millimeters to inches and meters to yards correct?

2. The calculator is designed for Copper/Lead core mainlines.  Can I use the calculator to estimate a reel set up with mono backing, braided mainline, and flourocarbon Leader? Is there something to the calculations/formulas specific to copper/leadcore lines?

3 hours ago, VTECHokie said:

Two questions:

1. Regarding Note #3 directing the user to always use Berk. Big Game line diameters.

Question: Is there any reason I can't use the exact line diameter from the manufacturer if they specify capacity in MM line diameter/Meters Capacity?  I would just need to convert millimeters to inches and meters to yards correct?

2. The calculator is designed for Copper/Lead core mainlines.  Can I use the calculator to estimate a reel set up with mono backing, braided mainline, and flourocarbon Leader? Is there something to the calculations/formulas specific to copper/leadcore lines?

Regarding Note #3:  If the fishing reel you have states for example 300 M / 0.45 mm, you can use that info - but convert it to Yards and inches.  So 300m x 1.09 = 336 yards.  0.45 mm / 25.4 = 0.0177 inches.

Regarding using other line types.  It isn't specific to line type.  The red text boxes that say Backing/Core/Leader can be changed to say whatever you want.  Just as long as you type in a diameter and a length in the respective boxes, it should work.

• 1 year later...
On 1/30/2010 at 5:22 PM, GLF said:

Ever wonder how much backing you can put on your reel along with your lead core or copper?

This is an excel spread sheet that will calculate how much of the various lines will fit on your reel. It was created by Eric Lang who goes by the username Arbogaster here. You have to have excel in order to use it.

There are directions on how to use this on the spread sheet, and I am going to walk you through it also.

Step one

The first thing you need to do is to is to enter the line capacity for you reel in the Advertised Reel Data box. It is important that you use the Big Game dimensions for this first box. I have a reel in front of me that says it will hold 430 yds of 25lb line. In the line spec table it shows berk. big game 25 = 0.019.

In the Line Capacity in Yds box I am going to enter 430.

In the Diameter of line in inches box I am going to enter 0.019.

This shows the Calculated Reel Volume Capacity = 4.389 Cubic Inches.

Step two

Enter the diameters of the lines you wish to use on your reel in the Proposed Line Data box. I am going to use 30lb power pro for backing, 27lb lead core, and a 20lb leader.

Enter the diameters in the boxes.

Backing 0.011

Core 0.032

Leader 0.018

Step three

Enter the length of the propsed lines you wish to place on the reel. I am going to use 300 yds of backing, 100 yds or core, and 25 yds of leader.

Enter these lengths in the boxes.

Backing 300

Core 100

Leader 25

This shows the reel is 94.6% full.

Play around with different line combinations and see what you come up with.

reel_fill_calculator's.zip