Kicker mounting

Well I think Im going to break down and buy me a kicker and autopilot this winter for the boat. My question is what is everyone using to rig up with a swim platform? Its integrated not a bolt on. Is everyone using a custom made unit or off the shelf? Also I have decided the AP14R is the way to go as far as autopilot, but not sure on the kicker brand. Will go with the high thrust 9.9. Which brand and why? Seems like the zuke is a nice unit for the price. My cuz outfitted his boat this year with auto pilot and a kicker and its a must have for me now:D Thanks for any info.

i had the merc 15hp 4stroke..then switched to a honda 8...youre prolly gonna want a long shaft..the merc was nice but i sold it with my other boat and boat an 8 hp honda 4stroke with an extra long shaft...the honda is WAY quiter than the merc if thats a concern..i have a 21 ft bayliner and the 8 is more than enough..i use a garelick mount(15 in travel)and a ez steer hooked to the outdrive...could probably give a little better mounting info if you happen to have a pic of the back of the boat

Thanks Don. I don't have a pic of my transom, but I stole one off the internet. Too funny it even has a mount on the transom for a kicker. I probobly can have somthing fabbed up, but was curious if there was anything off the shelf that anyone was using. I haven't had much luck surfing the net that will work for my application. I think the long shaft would be the way to go as well. Probobly 25" shaft? I will have to measure I guess. Anyway here is a pic I found that is the same boat is mine.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/vitalidle/myboat.jpg"]myboat.jpg

i beleive the shaft lengths are 15,20,25 25 being for sail boats i got the 25 cheap cus they couldnt sell it (everyone that showed up was looking for a regular boat motor)i seen one somewhere(mount) i will see if i can dig it up again..

http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/GAR/GAR71078.html

Edited by fishsniffer
added link

I did some digging on the mount in your link and its only rated for about 80 pounds, so that won't work. I guess my only option is to have one fabbed up. You would think these would be an off the shelf item, but not every boat is built the same I guess.

I did some digging on the mount in your link and its only rated for about 80 pounds, so that won't work. I guess my only option is to have one fabbed up. You would think these would be an off the shelf item, but not every boat is built the same I guess.

Hey there Sean, go directly to the manufacturers website and do a search of their products.

http://www.garelick.com/obmb.html

Hope you find what you need. You should be able to buy off the shelf.

• 1 month later...

I fabricated a peice of angle iron, 1/2" thick, it was a peice of 6"x6", but I welded

on extra on both ends, ground it down , drilled holes, and painted it.

I have a 15 horse honda 4 stroke bolted to it and it works great. its been on there for

about 5 years and have not had a problem.

I fabricated a peice of angle iron, 1/2" thick, it was a peice of 6"x6", but I welded

on extra on both ends, ground it down , drilled holes, and painted it.

I have a 15 horse honda 4 stroke bolted to it and it works great. its been on there for

about 5 years and have not had a problem.

Thanks Bob, and welcome to the site.

Thanks guys! I am going to wait one more year on the kicker. I found out I need hydraulic steering if I want to have autopilot for both the kicker and the sterndrive. Going to have to save a few more bones for the hydraulic steering this year.