COMMENTARY: Chicago's biggest story in years

News

This guys writes a blog for Chicago Now. Obviously he is oblivious to the fact the Chicago area fishery would be the first one affected. No more bass, panfish, perch, and salmon would be in the southern end of the lake.

How would you like to deal with this?

carpg.jpg

I can think of 7 billion reasons on why this should be closed.

• 2 weeks later...

I would'nt put it past the "big money guys" who are making money off the shipping to actually dump the asian carp into Lake Michigan. Once they can prove the fish are already there they can claim there is no reason to shut the locks down because its too late to stop them.

Its all about the Benjamins....

Blogger says: Mayor Daley; Senators Durbin and Burris; Gov. Quinn; Attorney General Madigan; the Illinois congressional delegation; President Obama: Where are you?

Yeah, where are you morons? You should have filled that ditch in years ago!

As far as going after the St Lawrance. Your absolutely right. Fill that ditch in also! The object is to export goods, not import. But I guess that fool didn't take economics 101.

At last, the A.G. of NY is joining the effort to close it down. :thumb:

The Great Lakes do need to be protected from this Huge invasive danger. There is one good point brought up here. Why were these fish allowed in this country in the first place????? Drastic measures may be what is needed to stop the carp, but they need to happen now. Even if there were 10 sure fire ways to stop the carp, the bureaucrats would argue for 10 years about which method was best. It's all about $$$$$.

There has been a lot of harm done to the GLs over the years. The GLs are the source of drinking water for numerous municipalities. These same municipalities spill billions of gallons of semi treated sewage into the GLs every time there is a major rain storm. Sure they get a slap on the wrist when this happens. Separating the sanitary and storm sewers is the answer to this dilema, but $$$$$ keep it from happening.

Some big improvements have been made in the GLs water quality and fishery in the last few decades. I hope we don't start going the other way.