making ice

It is making ice in the UP. I could not fish steelhead on the river today as my line kept getting caught on the ice floes. A good sign I guess. It is time to put the long poles away and get the ice fishing gear ready. There should be ice in a couple of weeks. I will give it until after christmas, too many parties before christmas that and honeydos. The day after I will have holes drilled and tip ups set.

Matt, I spend about 90 percent of my winter efforts going for steelhead and the big ones, what fun it is. Brevort lake has ice right now but not safe ice yet. It is an awesome lake for bluegills, perch, walleye and pike. Munoscong should be good in a couple of weeks also. Give me a post if you want to try trout fishing up here. I showed a couple of guys how to do it and they are hooked on it. I mean addicted.

Matt, I forgot to mention Burt Lake is great for perch & walleyes with an occasional trout or pike. Most guys fish in or near maple bay. In January when L Michigan is froze over we hit the stream mouths for steelhead and menominee

With temps going into the teens for the next two weeks I would say that we will have safe ice in a couple of weeks. I will go out on the 26th & 27 the. I usually give it a week or so after the other guys venture out. I have been swimming before and it is no fun.