Walleye Temps Q & A.

Gary Kieth or any walleye experts im kinda new to walleye fishing the great lakes could someone please tell me an optimal temparture to start looking for walleyes in big water i fish salmon alot so i have a temp probe for my downriggers so finding the temp would not be a problem i would apprecite any help guys thanks.

ginob.

Ginob.

Put my name down in with the (It doesn't matter) crowd for walleyes. They are more baitfish then temperature oriented. So, what may matter more is where you look and fish for them during these temp changes. With that said, I do believe all species of fish do have a water temperature preference, will bite better, longer and more aggressively in them. But only a few fish species seem locked into that temperature range comfort zone when foraging for food.

Small scaled or salmo species of fish seem to be the ones to suffer the most when out of their own temperature range preferences. And these same species also get locked into specific forage prey that also prefer those same comfort zones. Walleyes and other rough scaled species do not suffer these same restrictions IMV, may initially be effected by extreme fronts, but will eventually and quickly (in most cases) adjust to both the temps and the change in forage when and if need be. Capt. Dan.